OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Browning Cynergy Setup Questions

Started by Mabren2, November 30, 2022, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabren2

I have a 26" Browning Cynergy Ultimate Turkey on the way. This will be my first dedicated turkey gun setup, and I am willing to spend some money on chokes and ammo combos to get the setup exactly the way I want. For the last 20 years, the only gun I've used is a stock SX2 with a single bead and the factory full choke, so all of this is new territory for me. This has been an idea I've been kicking around for a couple of years now, so I'm excited to finally get the gun in hand and start this project!

Ideally, I'd like to use one barrel for TSS and maximum pattern density/range, and the other barrel I would like to setup for average range and a lead load. Not looking to go full-on spreader here.

So here come the questions:

1.) Given the above, what chokes would you recommend to start with?

2.) What are your preferred TSS and lead loads, and 3" or 3.5"? I am looking to get away from long beards.

3.) What are your thoughts on optics, and if you use, what do you recommend? Do they hold zero well, or get knocked off easily in tough conditions?

I've been a member here for years and I know the wealth of knowledge this forum has to offer, so thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Tom007

You'll love this gun. The Cynergy has a lot of custom features right out of the factory. I put a Camo Nikon Monarch Red Dot on it. I run a Rob Roberts .660 in my lower barrel. This choke loves Federal Heavyweight 7's in 3.5 inch. I run a Browning Full Strut Choke in the upper barrel. It likes Winchester Longbeard 6's. The first thing you should check is your POI (point of impact) on both barrels. I sighted my Red Dot in using the lower barrel. Over-unders will have a difference in the POI due to the stacked barrels, mine is less than a half inch using the Full Strut choke in the upper barrel. It handles the 3.5 inch loads real well due to the special recoil reduction system. I put a barrel clamp sling swivel just ahead of the forearm stock and threaded a sling stud in the rear stock, works great with any sling. NY just legalized #9 shot, so I will be playing around with 9 TSS this spring. Good luck with your new gun, you will love it.......
"Solo hunter"

SumToy

I would go 665 to 675 in one with TSS.    Now this is the point it gets 50/50.   If you going to shoot tss and short range I would go 700 to 710.   Now if me I would go say 685 with a cheap lead (not long breads)  for short and the TSS for the long stuff.   

Sight we like Burris because they have been good to us and our customers.   Now the vortex is good just may get one of the ones that does odd things with the adjustment but easy to fix it.   

We see alot of folks go swamp fox or holsun but the are little bigger.    One receiver mounts not big deal but on the rib mount I like the smaller sight for looks and less hang over to catch on stuff. 

Just my  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Jordan121787

Quote from: Tom007 on December 01, 2022, 07:15:10 AM
You'll love this gun. The Cynergy has a lot of custom features right out of the factory. I put a Camo Nikon Monarch Red Dot on it. I run a Rob Roberts .660 in my lower barrel. This choke loves Federal Heavyweight 7's in 3.5 inch. I run a Browning Full Strut Choke in the upper barrel. It likes Winchester Longbeard 6's. The first thing you should check is your POI (point of impact) on both barrels. I sighted my Red Dot in using the lower barrel. Over-unders will have a difference in the POI due to the stacked barrels, mine is less than a half inch using the Full Strut choke in the upper barrel. It handles the 3.5 inch loads real well due to the special recoil reduction system. I put a barrel clamp sling swivel just ahead of the forearm stock and threaded a sling stud in the rear stock, works great with any sling. NY just legalized #9 shot, so I will be playing around with 9 TSS this spring. Good luck with your new gun, you will love it.......

Any reason you chose the bottom barrel(long range) to be the one you sight the dot in for? I'm messing with an O/U right now. I have it the opposite right now. Top is my long range (and what the dot is sighted for) bottom is my short range barrel

Tom007

I read that you should sight in on bottom barrel, so that is what I did. It worked out for me because I sight in all Turkey guns to bullseye on the waddle. The upper barrel was just a bit higher, but covered the neck and head perfectly. That's what worked for me...
"Solo hunter"

Mabren2

Thanks all for the replies so far. Tom, I've seen your posts on the Cynergy since I've been following these guns. I appreciate you taking the time!

SumToy, I will definitely be ordering a couple of chokes from you. I'm pretty set on my long barrel being TSS, and the other using a straight lead load for average range. So I will trust your suggestions there.  This gun is equipped with a pic rail. Which Burris do you recommend, and do I buy the mount separately? Thanks again!

RLAG

I shot shotguns competitively in college with essentially everyone shooting O/Us. It was always common practice to shoot bottom first as there is less felt recoil based on the geometry of the gun

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

SumToy

Quote from: Mabren2 on December 01, 2022, 08:34:46 PM
Thanks all for the replies so far. Tom, I've seen your posts on the Cynergy since I've been following these guns. I appreciate you taking the time!

SumToy, I will definitely be ordering a couple of chokes from you. I'm pretty set on my long barrel being TSS, and the other using a straight lead load for average range. So I will trust your suggestions there.  This gun is equipped with a pic rail. Which Burris do you recommend, and do I buy the mount separately? Thanks again!

We have the Burris FF3.   It will have a mount to fit the pic rail.   Now if it is to high you can replace the pic rail with one of our mounts down the road. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Mabren2