turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Davis call

Started by callmakerman, September 02, 2022, 02:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

This is a call that I have been wanting to make for the last 10 years. I've read the Davis book. Looked over the specs for the call and even bought some of the material but never even started it till a few days ago. The call is made using a hen bone, 257 Roberts shell and micarta. Figured I would use micarta as it's really tough material and would work well for my first effort without worry of it blowing off the lathe. I'm very pleased the way it turned out both in look and sound (still needs a few small things to finish) and will give it some use this fall. Thanx for the look.

turkey stew

That is a fine looking and I`m sure sounding caller!

Bedge7767

Jim

Tarheel

That's a fine looking turkey call!!!!

ChesterCopperpot

Every time you post something I want it and can't have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colton2020

Nice

crow

Very sharp looking call and very cool project.

Did you follow his internals measurements, did it come out a little on the lower tone, older hen/Jake.

callmakerman

Quote from: crow on September 02, 2022, 03:46:18 PM
Very sharp looking call and very cool project.

Did you follow his internals measurements, did it come out a little on the lower tone, older hen/Jake.
For the most part yes, I did. I went with a 3/16" bore as I couldn't find a 5/32" drill bit long enough. I drilled two test holes in wood using both bits and decided it was so close that I wasn't going to worry about it. It's more mature hen but can be closed off enough to get young hen and nice kee kee's. It has a nice rollover as well. I will put a lip stop on it as I hate running calls without one and a tube to carry it in.

callmakerman

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on September 02, 2022, 03:29:33 PM
Every time you post something I want it and can't have it
This was a call a long time in the making and for me my favorite yelper design of all time. I'm not looking to get into the yelper business though I have made a few in the past. This one is my fifth yelper finished since 2012.

sbbow

Nice looking call Bill!

crow

:icon_thumright:, I like a lipstop much better than not having one.
Hunting with it on a lanyard, haven't broken a bone mouthpiece yet.

There is a picture of Simon Everett in his book calling on a yelper. He is holding it in one hand and pinching the fingers of his other hand on the mouthpiece to create a lipstop.

Hoot 000

Nice looking call Bill, I'd like to hear that one.

3bailey3

Zobo

Interesting you/he used a .257 Roberts casing, any significance to that or just because the 6.5mm fit the wing bone right? Or was it because it's age appropriate, the Robert's being developed in the 1920s from the great Mauser cartridge
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: callmakerman on September 02, 2022, 03:59:47 PM
This was a call a long time in the making and for me my favorite yelper design of all time. I'm not looking to get into the yelper business though I have made a few in the past. This one is my fifth yelper finished since 2012.
I'll take a pot...or some more strikers...OR ANYTHING COMES OUT YOUR SHOP YOU'LL SELL ME!