OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Couple of Calls From Turkey Trot

Started by Sir-diealot, August 30, 2022, 03:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Picked up these two calls from some 2 great and friendly makers.
I got this Macassare over Wormy Persimmon from Marlin Watkins

and when I walked in there I promised myself if I walked out with nothing else I would walk out with another scratchbox and I picked up this nice one made of Cedar by Mike Lapp

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I was hurting quite a bit when I took them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkey stew

Congrats on a couple mighty fine callers.

Yoder409

Two VERY fine callers !!!

If that macassar/persimmon call isn't the best sounding box call you own, I'd be surprised.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PharmHunter

That Watkins is absolutely gorgeous.  I'm sure it's all turkey too.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: turkey stew on August 30, 2022, 08:03:58 AM
Congrats on a couple mighty fine callers.
Thank you much. I would like to get one more Fiddle Paddle from Marlin next year or sooner as well, that would make 2 Fiddle Boxes and 2 Fiddle Paddles.

I also hope to get a box call from Mike in the future, I have been told his are quite nice.

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 30, 2022, 08:43:13 AM
Two VERY fine callers !!!

If that macassar/persimmon call isn't the best sounding box call you own, I'd be surprised.   

I have not compared it to the other two of his I have yet (Fiddle Paddle & Box) as I have been hurting pretty bad but I will take them outside this week and give a listen. It has a lot of what I believe what is referred to as "Yawk" He had a Apple/ over darn I can't think of the name now, it is white and that sounded quite nice as well. I got very lucky, the guy that I drive for was going over his books and realized he had made a mistake and handed me 500 on Thursday, otherwise I would not have been able to get the Fiddle box. Rest of it went to buy 2 2TB SSD's for the computer as I lost all my photographs on the old drive. (I had 250 already)

Quote from: PharmHunter on August 30, 2022, 11:14:21 AM
That Watkins is absolutely gorgeous.  I'm sure it's all turkey too.
He sure does make them both pretty and functional, sign of a true craftsman. It sounds much different than my other two calls from him, the Fiddle Paddle I have is Alaskan Yellow Cedar over Serviceberry and the other Fiddle Box is Butternut + Persimmon  Oh Marlin had anther of this same combination, though not wormy but I liked the sound of this one much more though they both sounded very good.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

310 gauge

Steve your choice of Callmakers for those two calls are as significant as the two flavors you chose...outstanding!!! And your decision to pick up a box from Mike in the future will be one of the best you ever made!!!

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 30, 2022, 11:22:22 AMHe had a Apple/ over darn I can't think of the name now, it is white and that sounded quite nice as well.

Guessing it's hop hornbeam you're thinking of.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 30, 2022, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 30, 2022, 11:22:22 AMHe had a Apple/ over darn I can't think of the name now, it is white and that sounded quite nice as well.

Guessing it's hop hornbeam you're thinking of.
No, I am thinking Holly now but just don't trust my memory.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

vt35mag

Couple nice calls you got there, congrats.

I know he had an ironwood over apple on the table.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vt35mag on August 30, 2022, 02:51:03 PM
Couple nice calls you got there, congrats.

I know he had an ironwood over apple on the table.
Perhaps that is what it was, I am just going to have to ask him. Meds help great with pain, ruins the memory as does getting older. I know it was to the right hand side of the table as you were standing looking at him. Edit: You were right, it was ironwood.

John Koenig:

Tom007

2 Beauties there Steve, congrats.....
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

fishr64

Two beautiful calls Sir!! That persimmon looks wonderful.

3bailey3

Yep that Watkins looks amazing, Congrats Steve.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer