turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Some more folk art......

Started by Tarheel, July 11, 2022, 02:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

Sometimes I have to try the darker woods, even though the artwork doesn't always show up that well in photographs. I especially like walnut Turpin boxes. The walnut Turpin boxes make that raspy yawk that gets those old boss gobblers' attention. This group of Turpin boxes was difficult to let go and deserve to be taken to the turkey woods and hunted.... 

callmakerman

Yup that works too. If the birds aren't talking, I can admire the artwork.

3bailey3

turkey stew

Very impressive hen boxes! Outstanding artwork!

doublespurs21

gobrunner

Tarheel

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.  I really appreciate it.

Bedge7767

Jim

spurred63

Tarheel

The bottom right hen box pictured above is made from dalbergia granadillo with an ebony lid.  Dalbergia granadillo is harder than hard maple...or at least this piece was.  This isn't a wood I would choose again because of how difficult it was to work with, but it makes an exceptional hen box call.  I cut out two hen boxes from the granadillo, and the other one I'm carving.  I can say without hesitation I will never carve another granadillo call. Hopefully, I'll finish it in my lifetime....LOL!  Granadillo is tough enough to withstand the rigors of someone hunting with it, even though it is carved. Dogwoods in bloom always makes me think of boss gobblers gobbling.....I've got a lot of polishing to do.

turkey stew

Beards and Hooks

Tarheel

This Turpin style box call is made from old growth teak with a Honduras rosewood lid with woodburned pinecones with a raspy old hen sound.  It's just a really nice turkey call with a folk art flavor.  When you just want to keep it simple, this works.  I've tried to talk myself into selling this box several times, but I keep setting it aside "for later" to keep anyone from saying they want it.  Every time I pick it up and play it, it just plays and sounds better and better.   

mikejd

turkey stew