turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad Omen

Started by zelmo1, June 23, 2022, 05:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I have been seeing poults around lately, problem is that the average brood size looks down. I have only seen more than 3 on one occasion, when there were multiple hens. This with the noticeable rise in nest predators and bobcats has me very concerned. Same in other areas where friends live. Not panicking yet, but I am sighting in the rifle early and possibly boiling a few dozen traps. If my body cooperates, I will be trapping this year. Actually changing my work schedule so I can do so. I hope my state game commission wakes up.  :OGturkeyhead:

Turkeybutt

Zelmo, good for you! Maybe we all need to engage in aggressive predator hunting as I have noticed more and more coyote, as well as fox in my area.

sswv

see hens around my house every day with no little ones. my ground predator assault never ends.

Greg Massey

Good luck with all the trapping. I hope you catch a truck load.

zelmo1

Trying to get them to open it up for bobcats again, they are exploding here. I will get some raccoons and coyotes and hopefully some skunks too. Wat too many of all of them now. I need some help, lol

Cowboy

We are trapping this year too. I hunt coyotes pretty regularly  but stepping up the game on coons and possums and adding traps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ol bob

For several years I've watched hens come through the yard with 10 to 15 poults, every day she would have less and by the end of a week she would be lucky to have 2, everyone is look of problem every where and the answer in right in front of them.

zelmo1

You got it Bob. Hens lay about a dozen eggs, 10-14 usually. If they are showing up with 2-3 poults this early in the season, then something happened to th eggs or the poults. Its numbers. If they have 8ish now, the chances that 4ish make it are decent, If she only has 2-3 now, its not possible to have 4 survive. We need to figure out the reasons and help the best way that we can. We do have a say in what the future can be peeps. Every nest or poult you save could have 2" spurs in a few years  :drool:. Let that be your fuel to shoot some predators or trap a few egg stealers. Al

ol bob

I lived here over 65 years, and the only real change is predators, between coons, crows, hawks. owls, coyotes, a turkey does not have a change, but the states are spending millions of dollars lucking for a cause for the decline, I guess you can't see a problem that's right in front of you.

WV Flopper

Can't see the forest for the trees...

I good attack for us all is nest predators, it is something we can help with.

Paulmyr

Interesting article here from the MDWFP about turkeys, predators, and habitat. It doesn't get to indepth but interesting none the less.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/turkey-program/turkey-ecology-and-life-history/dont-blame-predators-for-poor-turkey-habitat/
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

WV Flopper

To think....we put a season on crows? Avian predators are a big part of this IMO.

Paulmyr

Quote from: WV Flopper on June 23, 2022, 09:00:40 PM
To think....we put a season on crows? Avian predators are a big part of this IMO.

Kinda going to side track here.

Was listening to a guy at work today talk about a raccoon he had on his property. It was doing circles for the better part of a day. He thought maybe rabies. He was trying to decide what to do with it it and an eagle hammered it in the woods. Hopped it out into  a clearing and ate a big hole in it.

The coon was still alive and another eagle showed up. While it was perched on the edge of the clearing a crow came in for some vittles. The perched eagle hammered the crow and flew off with it.

The coon was still alive and he had to go and dispatch it. He called the animal control about what to do with it and they said don't burn it. Gets some heavy duty rubber gloves and stuff it in a plastic bag and put it in a dumpster.

Them coons are are tough as nails. When I trapped, I would guess 25% of them had healed over broken legs. My guess from getting rolled by vehicles.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

West Augusta

This past week I've had both coons and skunks on my back porch.  Game camera told me so.  Coons I can trap,  skunks? Not so much.  :TooFunny: 
I used to trap about 10 coon behind the house each year until someone bought the property and posted it. 
I'm using peppermint oil and Irish Spring soap to keep them off of the porch.  2 days and no unwanted visitors so far. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Paulmyr

Quote from: West Augusta on June 23, 2022, 09:41:09 PM
This past week I've had both coons and skunks on my back porch.  Game camera told me so.  Coons I can trap,  skunks? Not so much.  :TooFunny: 
I used to trap about 10 coon behind the house each year until someone bought the property and posted it. 
I'm using peppermint oil and Irish Spring soap to keep them off of the porch.  2 days and no unwanted visitors so far.

I've had to live trap skunks before due to location. When you catch one you need to cover trap with a tarp. Always wrapped the trap except for the door anyways to keep coons from reaching in from the sides and stealing the bait so it was just a matter of covering the door. Make sure it's just your eyes peering over the tarp. Once the trap is tarped.
Take it to the nearest pond/lake/river and toss the trap in making sure you have a good handle on the tarps. Wiggle the tarps free from the the trap and wait. The only time I've ever smelled skunk spray was when I pulled the trap from the water and it was diluted.