OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mandatory Reporting

Started by joey46, June 11, 2022, 08:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

Please understand I both ask and comment in an effort to gain knowledge so no disrespect intended. Other than harvest information, what info can be gleaned from mandatory harvest reporting? If a poacher kills a bird over the limit or before/after season one can only hope they are stupid enough to report... if a hunter commits an accidental shooting of an illegal bird, some may report, most won't. I've been in MS since before Harvest Reports started.... and really don't see what if any difference it has made. Now, using Harvest Reports as ONE of the tools in management? Ok I get it then. But when it appears that is all being done? Well, I say can it and hire extra GWs with the $ saved....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on August 01, 2022, 12:03:52 AM
Quote from: nativeks on June 11, 2022, 09:59:18 AM
While KS issues tags, they dont make you report anything for deer or turkey. I had some gents from AR tell me they love KS because they only need to buy one tag then print as many copies as they want...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

While the majority of Arkansas hunters are law abiding, there are too many that obviously give us a black eye when it comes to hunting.  Unfortunately, KS (especially in the past) provided the opportunity for outlaws to accumulate #s, which is what it was about for many.  I would support a "shoot, shovel, and shut up" approach with such a type.  Bury them deep, because we don't want them back.   We now have printable licenses in Arkansas, so you can imagine how that goes.  It's a poacher's dream scenario.
. Texas has tags.  Thankfully.  Deer, turkeys and certain ocean fish must be tagged.  Deer also have to logged n the back of the license.  Eastern turkeys have mandatory reporting.  It makes poaching more risky and proving a case a bit easier for the wardens. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Chris O

Iowa has mandatory reporting on deer and turkeys by either calling or online. We also have to tag those animals right after we harvest them. We also have to have tags for bobcats and otters that the DNR will put on those animals for you after you call them.

Ctrize

Michigan is going to the mandatory harvest report this year. I will have to talk to the DNR biologist to find out why it took so long and what were the deciding factors.