OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone Else?

Started by Sir-diealot, August 30, 2022, 11:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

.- -... ..--- -.. ...
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

No other fellow ham radio operators?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

Looks way too complicated for my feeble brain!  However, my first thought is,...what is the purpose?  Is it strictly for entertainment,...or is there some benefit to society that has not been replaced by cell phones and the like?  ....Just curious...   :)

Tail Feathers

Most emergency management command posts have a Ham operator in them.  Here in a hurricane zone, we learned land lines and cell towers often don't survive the storms well.  They are still used a lot, usually staffed by volunteers who use their own equipment.

No, I'm not a Ham operator, never tried it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on August 31, 2022, 09:01:03 AM
Looks way too complicated for my feeble brain!  However, my first thought is,...what is the purpose?  Is it strictly for entertainment,...or is there some benefit to society that has not been replaced by cell phones and the like?  ....Just curious...   :)

Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 31, 2022, 09:36:53 AM
Most emergency management command posts have a Ham operator in them.  Here in a hurricane zone, we learned land lines and cell towers often don't survive the storms well.  They are still used a lot, usually staffed by volunteers who use their own equipment.

No, I'm not a Ham operator, never tried it.

@GobbleNut I was going to reply but Tailfeathers already did for me. I will add that in many cases where voice communication can't get though Morse Code can and over a greater distance which is a clear benefit. Quick fact for you, if you did not have Ham Radio Operators you would not have the internet, we started it off with Packet Radio, RTTY and other forms of messages boards that were around before computers were really used for that sort of thing the way it later became. By the way, no telemarketers or adds with Ham Radio, that there makes it better than cell phones and the Internet to begin with. :D Oh and there is also something called SKYWARN they often see storms and report tornado activity before much of the modern weather equipment, also a benefit when the power goes out to those machines. I have reported counter clockwise movement in clouds myself in the past here in NY happy to say that it did not touch down but they did scramble jets to check it out they felt it was serious enough.

John Koenig:

btodd00

I still have my old cobra ltd25 and gray 300 watt linear, we used to hunt with dogs on huge expanses on timber land in Florida. There were no cell phones in the beginning and even when they came around they did not work out there (they do now). Up until 2012, I still had one in any truck I owned and there were still plenty of shops around here that tinkered and made them better. I haven't seen a cb shop in awhile, I still think about getting it out from time to time and see if anybody is out there. We ran channel 1 with very little interference

Sir-diealot

Quote from: btodd00 on August 31, 2022, 10:23:38 AM
I still have my old cobra ltd25 and gray 300 watt linear, we used to hunt with dogs on huge expanses on timber land in Florida. There were no cell phones in the beginning and even when they came around they did not work out there (they do now). Up until 2012, I still had one in any truck I owned and there were still plenty of shops around here that tinkered and made them better. I haven't seen a cb shop in awhile, I still think about getting it out from time to time and see if anybody is out there. We ran channel 1 with very little interference
I started with CB but got into Ham, I got sick of all the gutter mouths on CB and also found I have a love for Morse Code. I was doing 20 words per minute Morse Code at one point. I was telling my friends this weekend I would like to get an old President Washington CB base station just for old times sake. It would have to be purely stock though or I would lose my license.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 31, 2022, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: btodd00 on August 31, 2022, 10:23:38 AM
I started with CB but got into Ham, I got sick of all the gutter mouths on CB and also found I have a love for Morse Code. I was doing 20 words per minute Morse Code at one point. I was telling my friends this weekend I would like to get an old President Washington CB base station just for old times sake. It would have to be purely stock though or I would lose my license.

Sorry, I reread the way I said that and it may have come off stuck up, if so I do appoligize, it was not my intent.

John Koenig:

mountainhunter1

One of my best buddies is pretty into the ham radio. It is a daily thing for him. When we hunt together, he usually wants me to call for him, and I have to keep an eye out for him to make sure he is not talking on his hand held unit he carries into the woods when I have a turkey just about into his lap. Several times last year, he broke it out during the thick of things. LOL
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on September 01, 2022, 11:03:33 AM
One of my best buddies is pretty into the ham radio. It is a daily thing for him. When we hunt together, he usually wants me to call for him, and I have to keep an eye out for him to make sure he is not talking on his hand held unit he carries into the woods when I have a turkey just about into his lap. Several times last year, he broke it out during the thick of things. LOL
Oh jeepers that's bad! That would drive me nuts. To be honest I am not much for HT's (Handhelds, AKA Handy Talkies) I do not even like cell phones that much, only have one because the GF and a friend got me this one because they did not like the fact that I am gimpy and hunt alone.

John Koenig: