News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Out Of State Regs-1 Bird

Started by turkeyfool, June 10, 2022, 09:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: turkeyfool on June 10, 2022, 09:30:17 AM
Would you guys be cool seeing a 1 bird limit for out of staters? I live in NJ, but have never hunted here. I do 100% of my hunting out of state and I'd be totally fine seeing this. Just keep the tag/license around $100-150 and not $250 or $300 for 1 bird.

What do you think?
Just read through the thread and this is the most interesting comment? Why do you not hunt in the state you reside in? This just strikes me as odd and I am curious to know. Sorry for being nosy

turkeyfool

Interesting point! I moved to the Midwest for college and stayed there until 2020. Didn't know a thing about turkey hunting, but I was still-hunting with my bow along the Miss. river in December one morning and a bird hammered like 5 yards from my face. I decided at that point I would try turkey hunting and killed one with my bow (no blind) that spring. I had no idea what I was doing, but loved it. Since then, I've just been traveling, but it's really more to extend my season than anything. I try to be anywhere it's around 45 degrees at first light. Don't really have particular states in mind although I have a few I go to in late May. So I've never actually hunted in my home state

makestomstremble

I see people on here suggesting stop hunting for at least two years, ban the "cigar smokers", etc. Sorry, but these ideas sound crazy to me. I don't know about other people, but I just enjoy being outdoors in an area that has gobbling turkeys, with just a chance to tag one. To hang it up for two years is not  an option for me. Instead of banning these guys or that, I suggest we spend our time/resources finding out why our recruitment/nesting success is down so much. Then figure out from a scientific standpoint how to improve these areas.

I have chosen a profession that requires me to be on call 24/7, to leave I have to make special arrangements for someone to cover for me. If it were not for the "cigar smokers" I'd never get to see an Osceola come wading through water in Osceola country, or dozens of other interesting locales that I know I'll never get to visit first hand.

ruffbritt4

Everyone here seems to agree that they would keep hunting out of state for the chance at a single bird. Removing multiple tags for NR would be the low hanging fruit, only saving a very small percentage of gobblers from being harvested. As for the cigar smokers.. I hold Dave to the highest regard. Sure he takes plenty of birds off the landscape, but again is that really impacting the population? He loves the bird more than he loves to kill em, and surely does his fair share to give back to the resource. There are a handful that I can think of that take advantage of the wild turkey, he is not one of em.

I believe the timing of harvest has more impact than the harvest itself. New techniques (strutter decoys) are increasing in popularity and killing birds the first week of the season that would otherwise survive past the seasons end or until their hens are all bred and nesting.

One final note.. if there's one thing the decline of the ruffed grouse in my part of PA taught me, its that animals can withstand disease/predation with the necessary habitat. Without it, they can become few and far between. Does this apply to turkey? I think so..

Hook hanger

Honestly I really enjoy the states that allows you to shoot 5+ a year.

arkrem870

Quote from: makestomstremble on June 14, 2022, 02:31:53 PM
I see people on here suggesting stop hunting for at least two years, ban the "cigar smokers", etc. Sorry, but these ideas sound crazy to me. I don't know about other people, but I just enjoy being outdoors in an area that has gobbling turkeys, with just a chance to tag one. To hang it up for two years is not  an option for me. Instead of banning these guys or that, I suggest we spend our time/resources finding out why our recruitment/nesting success is down so much. Then figure out from a scientific standpoint how to improve these areas.

I have chosen a profession that requires me to be on call 24/7, to leave I have to make special arrangements for someone to cover for me. If it were not for the "cigar smokers" I'd never get to see an Osceola come wading through water in Osceola country, or dozens of other interesting locales that I know I'll never get to visit first hand.

If it weren't for the cigar smoker and other attention hounds we likely wouldn't be having this conversation at all.......

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: arkrem870 on June 14, 2022, 06:28:35 PM
Quote from: makestomstremble on June 14, 2022, 02:31:53 PM

If it weren't for the cigar smoker and other attention hounds we likely wouldn't be having this conversation at all.......

BINGO. It's amazing how some have trouble correlating the two.

ElkTurkMan

I am good with it. My favorite state to hunt just allows one bird per non resident and it always been fun. Anything that will help the birds rebound I am in favor off.

West Augusta

I call "the cigar smoker" a friend.  I've hunted with him.  He's much better than what shows on YouTube.
Hope he considers me a friend also.   He's just a guy trying to make a living and most of us are jealous that we didn't come up with the idea and have the guts to quit their job and go turkey hunting for a living. I know that I am.  There are several out there.  I know at least 3.  He and his kind aren't the reason.  I don't blame anyone for loving the sound of a spring gobble.  And if they bring that joy to a new hunter, then all the better.   Knight and Hale,  Will Primos and others got us fired up about turkey hunting. You don't blame them.   Don't blame "the cigar smoker". 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

quavers59

But how would you get all 49 States to agree to this at the same time?
    Probably  areas absolutely  Hammered  by out of Staters who live a Stones Throw from a Neighboring  State would like this new Regulation.
   South New Jersey comes to mind with half of Pennsylvania  Turkey Hunters  looking to Grab those few weekly Permits in their Lottery System. 
    In my area of New York,I see half of New Jersey's Turkey Hunters parked in New York. Meanwhile,I see very few New Yorkers hunting in New Jersey. Go Figure

Shiloh

This turkey hunting thing is a fad that won't last.  It's kind of like discussing how few turkeys there are these days on OG.  Be careful what you change because of a fad.  There's already talk around Wisconsin numbers showing that maybe turkeys are not gonna disappear from the landscape and maybe the numbers were skewed from Covid.  Just doing something won't fix a problem. Especially if there might not have been a problem to begin with.  A few good hatches and we are all singing and dancing in the streets and back to arguing about shots over 40 yards????

arkrem870

I hope your right. Unfortunately arkansas duck hunting underwent a similar public green timber hunting fad some years back. Resulting in non resident draws and closed /rest days on many public spots to reduce the increased pressure. Social media hunters made sleeping at the boat ramps in line a fad and now folks start lining up a full week before opening day. Turkey hunting is following the same trajectory. I've lived both extensively and am worried for the future of turkey hunting. Turkeys are precious and shouldnt be exploited on public lands for profit.

Shiloh

But what if you go to north or south dakota for ducks?  You won't face the same challenges.  I think the Arkansas duck hunting thing is mainly because it's Arkansas and these kids think that you have to go there and endure that misery to earn your SnapTok badge.  If you wanna turkey hunt there are great places all over this country that aren't that crowded.  I just don't see the issues that everyone is all bent over..........

West Augusta

Quote from: Shiloh on June 16, 2022, 12:20:44 PM
But what if you go to north or south dakota for ducks?  You won't face the same challenges.  I think the Arkansas duck hunting thing is mainly because it's Arkansas and these kids think that you have to go there and endure that misery to earn your SnapTok badge.  If you wanna turkey hunt there are great places all over this country that aren't that crowded.  I just don't see the issues that everyone is all bent over..........
I agree Shioh.  I have or had 3 primo turkey gun bring hunting spots.   One I lost due to someone buying the property.   The other two I was either the only one allowed to hunt there or was with the property owner.   Blessed to be sure.   No "YouTuber" has ever set foot on either property.   All three typically held up to five adult gobblers per year.   This year? Nada.  Not one gobbler on any property.  The areas held many jakes which gives me hope for next year and a few very old gobblers.    Guess we had a few bad hatches.  I'm not blaming "YouTubers".  I had to step up my game to harvest the bird.   Go deeper,  hunt more days,  learn new calls,   be patient.  Yes,  I'm retired and can hunt weekdays but I don't blame anyone for the lack of gobblers.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Shiloh on June 16, 2022, 12:20:44 PM

Arkansas green timber duck hunting is a different animal than prairie ducks of the Dakota's. Hunting wise and crowd wise. Most people head to Arkansas for the experience. Whether it's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.