only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

parking behind someone at a gate

Started by turkeyfool, May 24, 2022, 11:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

Quote from: redleg06 on June 01, 2022, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: silvestris on May 25, 2022, 10:43:35 PM
And all of the people who arrived in those vehicles were introduced to the sport by another turkey hunter in some way or another.   Back in the days, an intelligent man would never go around telling the boys how special his new girl was.  If he was so slow to not recognize the potential harm he was creating, he could find himself with a ex-girlfriend.

So it is with Turkeys.  Loose lips sink ships and are the primary reason for the hordes.

Turkey hunting on public land has finally become what duck hunting on public has been for 25+ years...  I remember pulling up to different lakes and refuges and it looking like a mud-motor convention at 4a.m and the ensuing race to get to a spot...even then, just because you were there first didn't mean someone wasn't going to come in and set up on you. 

It's great hearing all the youtuber's talking about how we need more hunters to "help the resource"...by putting more guns in the woods?   It's supply and demand- if demand skyrockets (It has and is) without the supply increasing to match it (in this case- turkey reproduction as well as additional huntable land to absorb new hunter numbers), before long, the imbalance becomes unsustainable... For those of us who have been around long enough to know what numbers looked like 10-20 years ago,  it's pretty clear that we're heading that direction in a lot of places. Particularly on public land. Once people get tired of fighting the crowds on public and not hearing birds, the private land will start to feel the effects...If you lease private land right now, or get permission for private land, and think you're immune to it- you aren't. You'll start to see more guys on your club hunting turkey, landowners will start to take notice of what they have and what they can charge and hike prices on leases, more and more outfitters will start leasing up ground etc.  If you don't believe that, look at the prices of duck leases or decent deer leases...it's unreal.

Your private land analogy is spot on. It's not going to be long before the owners realize what they have on private and drive more and more people to public just like what has happened for deer. If you want to hunt turkey's on private your going to need mucho money.

CowHunter71

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 25, 2022, 07:10:44 PM
I sure would hate to be the guy I catch letting the air out of my tires when I walk out of the woods with my 10g slung over my shoulder with 5 - 2 5/8oz # 8/9 TSS in it.

The woods have eyes! It takes a pretty stupid person to mess with someones vehicle. You may just be gambling with your life.
If you were the one who parked and then walked in on me a second time, no air in your tires would be the least of your worries. I would light your truck on fire and you would walk back to where ever you came from. Been there and done it. Not afraid of confrontation one freakin bit. You've got to be both rude and ignorant to park and then walk in on another Turkey Hunter. I will not tolerate either and will gamble with my life to ensure it does not happen to me. ;) I don't give a rats a## about any other public ground gates, in any other states, here in SE Tn, on the South Cherokee National Forest, one gate one truck, period. All you rude and ignant, locals and out of staters alike, take note.

Vintage

Soo Who makes the rule that if your at the gate first you get the whole WMA to your self.

redleg06

Quote from: Vintage on June 03, 2022, 09:38:51 AM
Soo Who makes the rule that if your at the gate first you get the whole WMA to your self.

Who makes the rule that if you are next in line at the grocery store, you get to check out next?  It's common courtesy in areas where you have other options and we all have to share a resource. 

There's obviously situations where multiple people have to park at one location and enter but as a general rule, if you get beat to a spot and have other options, move on and let the other guy enjoy his hunt.

GobbleNut

Quote from: redleg06 on June 03, 2022, 01:36:16 PM
There's obviously situations where multiple people have to park at one location and enter but as a general rule, if you get beat to a spot and have other options, move on and let the other guy enjoy his hunt.

Totally agree with this.  It's that "have other options" part that I think complicates that general rule.  Then again, there are no doubt a certain percentage of turkey hunters, especially those new to the sport, that look at it in terms of deer hunting (or other big game) where they think it is all about sitting in one spot and waiting for an animal to walk by. 

Their mindset, I believe, is that they are saying,..."That other person can only watch so many acres of this area at a time, so I will just go set-up and watch my little area, and we won't impact each other".  Those folks just don't comprehend that turkey hunting is not like that.  I can sympathize with those folks a bit, although they need to be educated as to turkey hunting etiquette.

On the other hand, though, are the ones that know the understood rules among turkey hunters, and yet choose to make the decision to interlope on another hunter.  Those types, I have no patience for... 

crow

Quote from: CowHunter71 on June 03, 2022, 08:27:40 AM
I sure would hate to be the guy I catch letting the air out of my tires when I walk out of the woods with my 10g slung over my shoulder with 5 - 2 5/8oz # 8/9 TSS in it.

The woods have eyes! It takes a pretty stupid person to mess with someones vehicle. You may just be gambling with your life.
If you were the one who parked and then walked in on me a second time, no air in your tires would be the least of your worries. I would light your truck on fire and you would walk back to where ever you came from. Been there and done it. Not afraid of confrontation one freakin bit. You've got to be both rude and ignorant to park and then walk in on another Turkey Hunter. I will not tolerate either and will gamble with my life to ensure it does not happen to me. ;) I don't give a rats a## about any other public ground gates, in any other states, here in SE Tn, on the South Cherokee National Forest, one gate one truck, period. All you rude and ignant, locals and out of staters alike, take note.

You didn't happen to relocate from Cocke County by any chance  :TooFunny:

CowHunter71

Quote from: crow on June 03, 2022, 02:14:07 PM
Quote from: CowHunter71 on June 03, 2022, 08:27:40 AM

You didn't happen to relocate from Cocke County by any chance  :TooFunny:
I am in McMinn County, as well as Polk and Monroe Counties. We have nothing but respect here for those who respect us, but let it be known on this public forum, that ignorance and rudeness in the South Cherokee will not be tolerated by a select few of us who hunt it. ;)

g8rvet

Quote from: Vintage on June 03, 2022, 09:38:51 AM

In debates, that is known as an "Appeal to the Extremes".  No one said they got the whole WMA to themselves, nor did they imply it. 

If you are at a WMA that has plenty of room to spread out, you should spread out (or you are inconsiderate).

If you are at a WMA that has a limited number of parking spots, you do what you have to do.

In either situation, if you work toward someone calling to a bird that is answering, you are inconsiderate. 

The silly thing is that nearly 100% of the time, the person doing the arsehole thing knows exactly what they are doing and just doesn't care.  It is not 100%, so as I try to think the best of folks, I give the benefit of the doubt until that is removed.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

dzsmith

Quote from: Archivist13 on June 02, 2022, 08:39:19 PM
Quote from: redleg06 on June 01, 2022, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: silvestris on May 25, 2022, 10:43:35 PM
And all of the people who arrived in those vehicles were introduced to the sport by another turkey hunter in some way or another.   Back in the days, an intelligent man would never go around telling the boys how special his new girl was.  If he was so slow to not recognize the potential harm he was creating, he could find himself with a ex-girlfriend.

So it is with Turkeys.  Loose lips sink ships and are the primary reason for the hordes.

Turkey hunting on public land has finally become what duck hunting on public has been for 25+ years...  I remember pulling up to different lakes and refuges and it looking like a mud-motor convention at 4a.m and the ensuing race to get to a spot...even then, just because you were there first didn't mean someone wasn't going to come in and set up on you. 

It's great hearing all the youtuber's talking about how we need more hunters to "help the resource"...by putting more guns in the woods?   It's supply and demand- if demand skyrockets (It has and is) without the supply increasing to match it (in this case- turkey reproduction as well as additional huntable land to absorb new hunter numbers), before long, the imbalance becomes unsustainable... For those of us who have been around long enough to know what numbers looked like 10-20 years ago,  it's pretty clear that we're heading that direction in a lot of places. Particularly on public land. Once people get tired of fighting the crowds on public and not hearing birds, the private land will start to feel the effects...If you lease private land right now, or get permission for private land, and think you're immune to it- you aren't. You'll start to see more guys on your club hunting turkey, landowners will start to take notice of what they have and what they can charge and hike prices on leases, more and more outfitters will start leasing up ground etc.  If you don't believe that, look at the prices of duck leases or decent deer leases...it's unreal.

Your private land analogy is spot on. It's not going to be long before the owners realize what they have on private and drive more and more people to public just like what has happened for deer. If you want to hunt turkey's on private your going to need mucho money.
many places are already there. Deer leases that require a double membership to hunt turkeys , etc..... and to be fair the places doing that are simply trying to curve the hunting pressure many times , and unfortunately making people pay to play is a way of doing that.... But a lot of the sudden interest in turkey hunting is from pay to play types of people to begin with.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dah

MY My 
  Now we will let air out of tires , burn them down and gamble our life for a spot we were going to hunt and have the God given right to own that spot . There are people posting here that have no business in the woods and I would rather be around the guy parking behind me . Lets see , be around a guy parking behind me or someone that will gamble their life ? Hmmm, which way to go ?
I think I have figured one thing out though  that has been debated on this forum and around the country , the question what is happening to our birds ? It is US , the hunters , Listen to us , we cant even enjoy Gods creation together . Damn Greed . How are we going to manage a resource . To some of you , I do give a rats a-- about other people , To even post thoughts of harming other people or property of what you perceive as someone being rude , well , you need to take a hard look . Thoughts and prayers for all of us .

GobbleNut

When some of these topics reach a certain point like this one has, I always refer back to those immortal words of Sargeant Hulka from the movie Stripes,..."Lighten up, Francis"   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 04, 2022, 08:42:44 AM
When some of these topics reach a certain point like this one has, I always refer back to those immortal words of Sargeant Hulka from the movie Stripes,..."Lighten up, Francis"   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:

I was waiting on this one. Can't believe I defended that guy in different thread. Everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt but Self Righteous maybe a fitting description.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Jimspur

There's a big difference between a gate that has 200 acres behind it,
and one that has 5,000 acres behind it.
One has to use common sense when parking behind somebody at a gate.
Unfortunately, common sense ain't that common anymore.

Howie g

Ok then ,,, we call someone rude and ignorant, yet we will set there truck on fire ?
That's way beyond rude or ignorant IMO . 

Archivist13

Quote from: dah on June 03, 2022, 11:25:02 PM
MY My 
  Now we will let air out of tires , burn them down and gamble our life for a spot we were going to hunt and have the God given right to own that spot . There are people posting here that have no business in the woods and I would rather be around the guy parking behind me . Lets see , be around a guy parking behind me or someone that will gamble their life ? Hmmm, which way to go ?
I think I have figured one thing out though  that has been debated on this forum and around the country , the question what is happening to our birds ? It is US , the hunters , Listen to us , we cant even enjoy Gods creation together . Damn Greed . How are we going to manage a resource . To some of you , I do give a rats a-- about other people , To even post thoughts of harming other people or property of what you perceive as someone being rude , well , you need to take a hard look . Thoughts and prayers for all of us .

Couldn't agree more. Sad and scary that there are people like this out there calling themselves hunters. All that anger and violence over a bird with the brain the size of a walnut.