North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Style Poll

Started by CASH, February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite turkey hunting style?

Run n Gun
25 (13.6%)
Sit and Call Em In
24 (13%)
Bushwhack Em
2 (1.1%)
Shoot Em Off the Roost
4 (2.2%)
Both 1 and 2
129 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

harvester

I will do whatever needed to get the ole longbeard, run and gun, call them in, spot and stalk, except shoot him off the roost.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Jay on February 06, 2011, 10:47:26 PM
Generally where I hunt, running and gunning leads to getting busted, because of a lack of cover. A lot of times I'm moving before flydown to get into a better position in regard to where they are roosted. I prefer running and gunning, but patience gets you the birds.

Yep...most of the places I hunt are small farms with 80+% fields, so running and gunning is not an option.

mossybird

Overall where I hunt, its a mix of Run and Gun and Sit and Call em in. Early morning we try to locate, if there's a response, depending on where the bird is, say 150-200 yards away, ill sit and call. Over 250, Im moving in a little. Most of the time there close because we hunt in the thick woods and usually you cant hear them farther than 250. If there's no response when we try to locate the bird, then we will sit and call for a little while.\

Kevin

hookedspur

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 06, 2011, 05:46:16 PM
I choose run and gun thats what i do most but i like to sit down and callem and then i like to bushwhackem to.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MarkJM

I would say I am a sit and call guy, but if i hear a bird gobbling 4 hillsides away, i'll definitly chase him.
MuellerCustomCalls

bowhunter84

i like to run and gun but depending on how things go i'll sit and call. i also like to sit and call in the afternoons

gunnerj

I sit first thing in the morning. If I/we haven't connected and everything is cleared out, it's time to make things happen. Either a new sitting set up or run and gun.

hoyt

I very seldom roost birds, but from scouting I know the areas they are suppose to be in. So I'll go to one of the areas before daylight and listen. If I don't hear a gobble I'll start running and gunning cover as much territory as fast as I can. Knowing that right after daylight is prime time for gobbling.

If I get on a gobbling bird and it won't come in and is with hens I'll come back to that area about 10:30 or 11:00 setup and call for about one hr. Lots of times they will come back after the hens slip away from them looking for that hen they heard earlier.

If I don't do any good running and gunning I'll set up in a spot I know gobblers use and call for about an hr and move on and do it again till quitting time..1:00.