North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Style Poll

Started by CASH, February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite turkey hunting style?

Run n Gun
25 (13.6%)
Sit and Call Em In
24 (13%)
Bushwhack Em
2 (1.1%)
Shoot Em Off the Roost
4 (2.2%)
Both 1 and 2
129 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

turkey_slayer

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2011, 06:15:23 PM
Really not a run and gunner, or a sit in one spot guy, so I'll say a slow version of 1 and 2.

Same here.  If I was on a out of state hunt though and limited on time I would no doubt run and gun.  I dont do that here though cause I know where the turkeys are and am fortunate enough to be able to hunt a lot.  I treat it like deer hunting in a way.  You're not going to keep walking around an area and spreading your scent and bumping the deer if you know they are there are ya?  Same thing with turkeys.  I know they are there so I'm not going to start walking around and calling trying to get one going.  Been a lot of days I've never even got a call out.  Theres always tomorrow and the less they know they are being hunted the better off I am

Expressjet

Mostly set around fields that thy come in. But if hear one gobbling I'll go to him..

joshua

I've bushwacked a few but I voted #1 and #2.  One of these is usually how I fill a tag.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Spurs

I run and gun a little more than I should.  I am going to try to slow down a bit this year.  Kinda screwed myself a few times last year.
This year is going to suck!!!

redleg06

I didnt read all the other replies....

- If I know the area a little bit and have a good idea of the turkey's patterns then I might be inclined to sit and call for a while, even if I dont hear anything.

-If its a new area and I havent been able to scout much beforehand, I'm probably going to be doing alot more walking until I strike one up or run across a promising looking spot with some good turkey sign.

FLAhotdog

limb lifting is harder than you think :groupwave: :smiley-char092:

magicman

Quote from: redleg06 on February 10, 2011, 10:06:15 PM
I didnt read all the other replies....

- If I know the area a little bit and have a good idea of the turkey's patterns then I might be inclined to sit and call for a while, even if I dont hear anything.

-If its a new area and I havent been able to scout much beforehand, I'm probably going to be doing alot more walking until I strike one up or run across a promising looking spot with some good turkey sign.

x2, It also depends on the size of the property I'm hunting.

WyoHunter

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 06, 2011, 05:46:16 PM
I choose run and gun thats what i do most but i like to sit down and callem and then i like to bushwhackem to.
I'm like you OLE RASPY I do whatever it takes. If they won't come to me I go to them. That's why it's called turkey hunting!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

I hate turkeys

I voted for 1,2, & 3  it depends on what it takes to kill the bird.  If you think about it run and gun and bushwacking are close to the same. When I run and gun I will sneak around, up, over or through what I need to in order to get a better position on the bird. Bushwacking can show knowledge of the birds and how they use the land. I use it late in the season. My love is run and gun.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

slave601

i run and gun more than anything. especially in mid morning
"thinnin the flock"

ClayW

Sittin inside the Double Bull with the decoys out. I used to be a runner/gunner but my success rate dramatically increased when I started bowhunting and learned some patience.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Hoosierhunter

I guess I would be a bushwhacker or sit in my blind and call more than anything still trying to learn and I just don't fill I could run and gun yet and I hunt more state land so safety is number one on my mind. 

boatpaddle

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2011, 06:15:23 PM
Really not a run and gunner, or a sit in one spot guy, so I'll say a slow version of 1 and 2.

Yelp
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

chrisun

John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Jbird22

Mostly run and gun but will spend time working one as long as he seems interested. I won't leave one gobbling if I can help it. I would rather bump one than leave one gobbling.