OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Style Poll

Started by CASH, February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite turkey hunting style?

Run n Gun
25 (13.6%)
Sit and Call Em In
24 (13%)
Bushwhack Em
2 (1.1%)
Shoot Em Off the Roost
4 (2.2%)
Both 1 and 2
129 (70.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

CASH

By the way.  If you vote #4, be prepared to catch a lot of grief.

My personal hunting style is whatever the birds are demanding that day.  Sometimes a little of the first 2.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

chatterbox

I agree with Bob. If they don't want to come in, it might be time to re-think what you are doing, and move in on him.

OLE RASPY

I choose run and gun thats what i do most but i like to sit down and callem and then i like to bushwhackem to.

ElkTurkMan

I consider myself kinda of a throwback old fashioned type hunter.  I don't run & gun to much.  I will run & gun when absolutely neccesary, but more times than not I'll sit and call.  There's definately a time and a place for each type of hunt!

paladin

bushwacking and roosting are about as bad.
I run and gun if I hear one and sit and call if I can't.
run and gun has been most effective for me.
"have gun-will travel"

guesswho

Really not a run and gunner, or a sit in one spot guy, so I'll say a slow version of 1 and 2.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OLE RASPY

Quote from: paladin on February 06, 2011, 05:51:07 PM
bushwacking and roosting are about as bad.
Explain that please. My opinion bushwacking and roosting is not the same.Bushwacking is a technigue used in the fall.Roost shooting is illegal where im at.

jakesdad

I sit and call most of the time,but aint scared to go get one if I have too

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Kylongspur88

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 06, 2011, 08:01:26 PM
bushwhacking and roosting are about as bad.
Explain that please. My opinion bushwhacking and roosting is not the same.Bushwac king is a technique used in the fall.Roost shooting is illegal where I'm at.
To me bushwhacking is when I get out in front of an uncooperative bird/get to where he is going first and lay it too him. For me this is perfectly acceptable and you really have to know the land to do this effectively. Fall birds or spring birds I say have at it. Where I hunt in the mountains this is a good way to kill a henned up gobbler.Also nothing wrong with setting up on a funnel like a logging road and holding tight till something comes along. That's just what I thought it was and I use these techniques often.

unclerick

Generaly I wait till mourning and find one gobbleing and go as far as I can then try to call him in, or if that don't happen, I'll sit someplace and call for awhile.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

OLE RASPY

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 06, 2011, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 06, 2011, 08:01:26 PM
bushwhacking and roosting are about as bad.
Explain that please. My opinion bushwhacking and roosting is not the same.Bushwac king is a technique used in the fall.Roost shooting is illegal where I'm at.
To me bushwhacking is when I get out in front of an uncooperative bird/get to where he is going first and lay it too him. For me this is perfectly acceptable and you really have to know the land to do this effectively. Fall birds or spring birds I say have at it. Where I hunt in the mountains this is a good way to kill a henned up gobbler.Also nothing wrong with setting up on a funnel like a logging road and holding tight till something comes along. That's just what I thought it was and I use these techniques often.
Exactly spring or fall but i do it mostly in the fall as sometimes calling dont work so  i try to get in front of the bird if at all possible and if i know where hes headed i wait on him. :icon_thumright:

Boparks

With Easterns it's a mix depending on the day.  I'll cover ground if I need to but I spend plenty of time staking out spots.

With Merriams on the prairie it's a faster trolling pace for sure just to cover the ground it takes to strike a bird. Hearing one at a distance and chasing and moving on em when they'll let me is a fun way to hunt. Then again, sometimes you move around and find one, and he'll come a quarter of a mile to you

With Rios in Texas it's  a mix as well. If it's a new tract, I move and troll. Once I become familiar with an area and bird movement, I slow down and stake out an area

Definitely more aggressive with the latter two sub species and more conservative with my home birds

maustypsu

Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

My personal hunting style is whatever the birds are demanding that day.  Sometimes a little of the first 2.

Yeah, number 4 is pretty bad.  I mean, why would you wait for them to get off the roost???  They might go the other way, better to just get 'em while they are still in the tree.   ;D

OLE RASPY

Quote from: maustypsu on February 06, 2011, 09:36:27 PM
Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Yeah, number 4 is pretty bad.  I mean, why would you wait for them to get off the roost???  They might go the other way, better to just get 'em while they are still in the tree.   ;D
:TooFunny:

Jay

Generally where I hunt, running and gunning leads to getting busted, because of a lack of cover. A lot of times I'm moving before flydown to get into a better position in regard to where they are roosted. I prefer running and gunning, but patience gets you the birds.