Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Best Birthday Present.

Started by Hayudog, April 26, 2022, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Last week my daughter asked if I was going turkey hunting on my birthday. I replied that if things worked out, I would try to go.  That's when she said, " I was hoping I could go with you".  I told her that would make my birthday perfect, let's plan it. 
She's a NICU nurse, works 12 hr shifts, and was getting off a strung of 3 days.  I knew she was tired, and this hunt was for me.  I told her to meet at 0700, two hours later than I usually leave. But, figured she needed her sleep. 
As we drove into the ranch, full day light, 5 strutters met us at the gate, and two more on the other side, courting a beaded hen.  Too close to the city houses, but fun to see.
About a ten minute drive up the dirt road to where I park.  Then about a 1/2 mile hike in to the one spot on the ranch I can shoot.  The winds blowing 20. Cold, and the fog line is at the top of the ridge.  Couldn't hear a gobble if they were gobbling.
Blind calling for about an hour and a half. I got out of the blind and walked about 100 yards down out of the wind to run the box. Trying to strike something that could I hear.  I heard one far off response. Walked back to the blind, calling as I walked. Figured if the gobble could hear me, he'd think I was moving.
About fifteen minutes later, a Tom pops up from that direction. Came in quiet. Walked over and thrashed the Jake decoy. Got about 1/2 on video.  Grabbed a couple of screen shots from the video.
Mels first turkey, and a perfect Birthday present for me.  A day hunting with my daughter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

That's awesome!! What a great present also!! Happy birthday Doug!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Happy Birthday! Congrats on the Daddy/Daughter hunt that is awesome!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

JeffC

That's awesome!! Congrats to your daughter, Mel. Happy Birthday Hayudog, memories for a lifetime!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

suburbhunter

Will

Congratulations and that is by far some of the best turkey photographs I've seen!

WildSpur

Cool!   Hbd!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.