OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My 2022 Turkey Season

Started by StickString96, February 03, 2022, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickString96

Played with a looser choke and a box of TSS today. Took a shot at 20 and 30 yards, POI is exactly the same as with my other choke and the LBs. Didn't even have to touch my optic. I think I like the TSS pattern better, better pattern density. Going to try it at 40 yards next time I get to the range.

Jebs .665
Federal TSS 3.5" 7/9 2 1/2oz
20 yards cardboard, 30 yards paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StickString96

40 yards. I am done patterning. Getting antsy for the season to open. Going to do some scouting this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StickString96

Hunted Saturday of the VA opener last weekend on some private land that my buddy has access to. Setup a Jake and hen decoy on the edge of a woodline/field near the creek they roost over.
Once the owls started at sunrise it sounded like a choir. I gave two series of light tree yelps on the mouth call early, which they gobbled to, and then I shutup after that. We weren't super close to where
they were roosted, but close enough to be in the game. If I had to guess the majority of the birds were probably 150-200 yards away on the edge of the property line. We heard probably a dozen birds
gobbling on the roost. It was awesome! I did one fly down cackle followed by a series of yelps/clucks every 30 or so minutes. The birds went silent on the ground, it was like they were never there.
I think the majority of them pitched down into the neighbors field, as the few gobbles we heard later in the morning came from that direction. An hour after fly down a Jake came in silent all the way to the decoys.
He milled around at 20 yards for a few minutes and then went about his business, never gobbling. He was a small bird and I decided not to shoot him. His beard was barely visible and he didn't have much for shoulders.
That was the only action we had that morning. We picked up the decoys and decided to run-n-gun until closing at noon but never struck a bird. We had a blast anyways and will be back to that property soon.

I'm in a hotel room right now waiting for our mountain public land hunt to kickoff tomorrow. I'll be posting pictures and updates here next week. Hopefully we find some birds!

Zobo

You might not have been calling enough in this scenario. Every 30  minutes means you only called three times, once on the roost and twice before the Jake came in.
     Also did you leave soon after the jake left? If so you may have left too soon.  Hearing a dozen gobblers would keep me locked in that spot for good while. MANY times gobblers will come back looking for those sweet tree yelps they heard in early morning.
     But you may not want to hunt that way, I understand that and that's ok, it's a more patient, stationary approach that many can't stand. I happen to love it and it definitely pays off a lot of times. Other times it doesn't and you leave feeling you should have moved more. Such are trials and tribulations of a turkey hunter!
     You sound as though your having a good time however, and you definitely have a commendable attitude. Keep on gunnin' your turkey's  comin'!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14