OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Swampfox Kingslayer

Started by grayfox, April 14, 2022, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

Who all is using the Swampfox Kingslayer sight with the circle dot & how do you like it? I'm thinking about trying the green one. I've always prefered the green over the red. I'm getting old & my 12 ga. 870 with the Magpul stock is getting a little too heavy for me to lug around. Weighing in at 8.25 lbs. unloaded including the sling. I'm gonna put the original synthetic stock back on & go with a smaller reflex sight. This will shave about 3/4's of a lb. off the weight. I love the Magpul stock but it is a good bit heavier than the synthetic stock that came on it.

twyatt

I have 3 of the red circle dot Kingslayers and absolutely love them.  Been using them for a couple years now.  I can't see regular red dots clearly for some reason, but circle dot sights are crystal clear, and the Kingslayer is absolutely perfect for me.  Easy on, easy off, easy brightness adjustment.

btomlin

I like my kingslayers. I have a red dot and the green circle dot.  I like the green better. 

hillbillyfab

I own 3 of them, 2 regular red dots and 1 green circle reticle. The green is my preference of them.

grayfox

Thank you guys for the feedback. I've hunted with a Vortex Venom, an Ultradot L/T & played around some with a Burris Fastfire 3 but I always went back to a TruGlo Tru-Brite because of prefering a green dot. I also liked being able to turn the brightness down really dim in the early morning hours on the TruGlo. Of the other three I liked the Vortex Venom the best but they all were great sights.

DMTJAGER

Just got done hunting 5 days from 4am till 1pm with a Swampfox Kingslayer on two different guns. A 870 ESM and a Benelli SN. Sight can handle heavy recoil well as I Also fired on top of at least 20 12ga 3.5" turkey loads form each gun I also fired at least 50 rounds of dove loads out of each gun at 8'x11' turkey head targets while seated in my turkey chair from 25-60 yards to get me accustomed to using the new to me style of RMR VS regular red dot sight while hunting.

Over all I am 100% happy with how the sight performs while hunting. The sight is very easy to adjust in terms of brightness to get it set perfectly in any lighting condition you will encounter. Hunted in 100% cloud cover to 100% sunshine and everything in-between and had no problem adjusting the sight to be completely usable.

Although I have been hunting with red dots (Sig Romeo V) for three seasons previously have red dots on two 22lr HG's and five semi-auto long guns (22lr, 9mm & 223) and are very accustomed to red dots and use to turkey hunting with them this year was the first time I EVER hunted in the rain with a red dot and I found out what I should have already known.

If you are using a RMR like the Kingslayer and you KNOW you will get rained on if the lenses of the Kingslayer get wet you WILL NOT be able to see the circle dot sight clearly enough to use whatso ever and you WILL not be able to shoot a turkey no matter how close he is.

During day 3 of a 5 day first season turkey hunt I just finished this past Friday, it rained on and off lightly form about 30 minuets before legal shooting light for the next almost 4 hours. At first legal light I checked my Kingslayer and quickly found out due to the rain getting on both the front and back lenses I couldn't see out of it at all. As I wear glasses and hunt and scout with bino's 100% of the time I carry a lens cloth, 6 Zeiss alcohol lens cleaning wipes and a lens brush in a Ziploc snack bag. AS soon as there was a brake in the rain I cleaned the lens surfaces confirmed I could see perfectly again out if the sight. I barrowed a rubber band from my paddle call used the Ziploc snack bag that held my lens cleaning kit and covered my Kingslayer with it and used the rubber band to hold it loosely in place. I just hoped if I found myself having to shoot a turkey in the rain I could remove the Ziploc bag fast enough or without getting busted and still make the shot.

So unless someone knows something I don't you can not use a RMR if you know you will get rained on while turkey hunting and likely have to make a shot while it's raining.
In the future if I know the odds are more likely than not I will be turkey hunting on the rain I will not use a gun topped with a red dot.

This kinda stinks as I LOVE my Kingslayers and my two best patterning guns both are topped with Kingslyers and now I will have to decide which one I will remove and replace it with either my Leupold VariX-II shotgun scope I use to use on both. I could use my Truglo Gobble Dot red dot as it uses a near identical red dot configuration as the Kingslayer and has popup scope caps that should keep the rain off the lens surfaces just like my Stony point scope caps due for my rife scopes.

grayfox

Quote from: DMTJAGER on April 17, 2022, 03:16:42 PM
Just got done hunting 5 days from 4am till 1pm with a Swampfox Kingslayer on two different guns. A 870 ESM and a Benelli SN. Also fired at least 50 rounds of dove loads out of each gun at 8'x11' turkey head targets while seated in my turkey chair from 25-60 yards to get me accustomed to using the new to me style of RMR VS regular red dot sight while hunting.

Over all I am 100% happy with how the sight performs while hunting. The sight is very easy to adjust in terms of brightness to get it set perfectly in any lighting condition you will encounter. Hunted in 100% cloud cover to 100% sunshine and everything in-between and had no problem adjusting the sight to be completely usable.

Although I have been hunting with red dots (Sig Romeo V) for three seasons previously have red dots on two 22lr HG's and five semi-auto long guns (22lr, 9mm & 223) and are very accustomed to red dots and use to turkey hunting with them this year was the first time I EVER hunted in the rain with a red dot and I found out what I should have already known.

If you are using a RMR like the Kingslayer and you KNOW you will get rained on if the lenses of the Kingslayer get wet you WILL NOT be able to see the circle dot sight clearly enough to use whatso ever and you WILL not be able to shoot a turkey no matter how close he is.

During day 3 of a 5 day first season turkey hunt I just finished this past Friday, it rained on and off lightly form about 30 minuets before legal shooting light for the next almost 4 hours. At first legal light I checked my Kingslayer and quickly found out due to the rain getting on both the front and back lenses I couldn't see out of it at all. As I wear glasses and hunt and scout with bino's 100% of the time I carry a lens cloth, 6 Zeiss alcohol lens cleaning wipes and a lens brush in a Ziploc snack bag. AS soon as there was a brake in the rain I cleaned the lens surfaces confirmed I could see perfectly again out if the sight. I barrowed a rubber band from my paddle call used the Ziploc snack bag that held my lens cleaning kit and covered my Kingslayer with it and used the rubber band to hold it loosely in place. I just hoped if I found myself having to shoot a turkey in the rain I could remove the Ziploc bag fast enough or without getting busted and still make the shot.

So unless someone knows something I don't you can not use a RMR if you know you will get rained on while turkey hunting and likely have to make a shot while it's raining.
In the future if I know the odds are more likely than not I will be turkey hunting on the rain I will not use a gun topped with a red dot.

This kinda stinks as I LOVE my Kingslayers and my two best patterning guns both are topped with Kingslyers and now I will have to decide which one I will remove and replace it with either my Leupold VariX-II shotgun scope I use to use on both. I could use my Truglo Gobble Dot red dot as it uses a near identical red dot configuration as the Kingslayer and has popup scope caps that should keep the rain off the lens surfaces just like my Stony point scope caps due for my rife scopes.

Hey thanks for the update. I've got one on order. I don't usually hunt in the rain but I will keep something in my vest to cover it with on days it might get rained on.

JeffC

I have not used this yet, but worried about same thing, RAIN. Sure it would be close fit, or look and see if they make 1 for Kingslayer.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Cutt

The Kingslayer does come with a dust cover that could be used in the rain, but does not fit on very tightly where you could lose it maneuvering through the woods. Don't hunt in the rain that much, but do use the cover when going in the woods in the dark and through thicker areas to prevent scratching the lens. To prevent losing it I added a small bungee, to hold it on securely when walking. Pics 1&3

I also picked up an extra cover and made a kill flash out of it for sunny setups if needed. Pic 2

Ridge Rooster

The bungee is a great idea!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

btomlin

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on April 17, 2022, 09:44:41 PM
The bungee is a great idea!

Ridge Rooster

X2.  I have been using 2 rubber bands looped together and around the gun/sight to hold cover on.  That looks good.  Any particular size bungee??

grayfox

Ya'll have some great ideas. Thanks.

DMTJAGER

Great ideas Cut,
What did you use for the screen for the flash kill and where did you get it?
Lastly what is the split pin looking thing that protrudes up threw the cover you use to secure the bungee to the cover?

Cutt

Quote from: DMTJAGER on April 18, 2022, 01:49:19 PM
Great ideas Cut,
What did you use for the screen for the flash kill and where did you get it?
Lastly what is the split pin looking thing that protrudes up threw the cover you use to secure the bungee to the cover?

The plastic protruding up through the cover is a plastic auto rivet clip. Just removed the center push pin and routed the bungee through the hole and knotted the underside. Then sealed it with a little black RTV underneath to secure the knot and keep the cover from leaking.

The bungee is the small craft type 2.5 mm, a rubber band would work, but the bungee won't break like they will.

As for the kill flash, that's explained in another thread on the same page not far below this thread titled Kingslayer Reflection.

J-Shaped

With a little creativity you can also get the cover to work with a sight protector guard. Fits like a glove.