OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper, starting over

Started by 2flyfish4, April 13, 2022, 10:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

I have a copper pot call from a well liked maker, won't say any names as it irrelevant. The call seemed to have died on me. It was running good, then all of the sudden its just flat with no roll over and doesn't sound good at all.

I have conditioned it with a green scotch Brite pad, like I always have. Have conditioned all over the call, have cleaned the call with rubbing alcohol, cleaned the striker tip with alcohol, have scotch Brite the striker. I cant find any place on the call that sounds like it use to.

I dont know, like I said the call was running good and now I can't get the sound out of it that I like.

Was thinking of taking some really fine sand paper and a buffing pad and just trying to get it back to new, then hit it with the scotch Brite pad again.

Not sure what happened or what I need to do to get it running again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

greentrout

Have you dropped the call on a hard surface recently? Could be a loose sound board

And have you contacted the maker? That would have been my first step.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

RH1

May have a cracked pot. Wood movement is almost never completely eliminated. Hairline crack could be reason. Pots cut with too much moisture content by inexperienced call makers....
Red Hills Turkey Calls

fishr64

I have a few wood pots that do that when the humidity gets up for an extended time. I put them in my gun safe and that helps to draw the excess moisture out of the pot and they run good again. It's worth reaching out to the call maker as well. I'm sure they could give you some help with it.

ChesterCopperpot

Is it a carbon striker? And, if so, have you tried using some other strikers on the surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

Call the maker up and send it back. The wood has changed or something happened with the glue. Its actually a common problem with pot calls. I've had my share of them. Same problem.

mastevt

Quote from: yelpy on April 14, 2022, 04:38:18 PM
Call the maker up and send it back. The wood has changed or something happened with the glue. Its actually a common problem with pot calls. I've had my share of them. Same problem.

This right here is your best advise. 

2flyfish4

Well looks like the issue is the striker. The tip is deteriorating, was messing with it today and a small piece of the tip broke off,  about the size of a piece cracked pepper. Its just a no name striker that came with the call.

Good news is JLH is putting a frogwood striker in the mail for me tomorrow.

HFultzjr

Get in touch with the maker.
If they are a reputable maker, they will set you right.