OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

titanium pot calls.

Started by rtsj, June 10, 2011, 06:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

Anyone ever use a call with a titanium striking surface. Hows it sound? Do u like it?

drenalinld

I have the titanium call that MAD calls produced several years back. I think its between ceramic and aluminum. I would love to have a custom one with a corian pot or maybe osage wood! Awesome cutts!!!

bird

Black Corian pot call with a titanium, ceramic or copper calling surface would be very interesting.

drenalinld

I have a corian pot with an aluminum surface that is awesome. I really want to try a corian pot with titanium and/or ceramic surface.

pappy

During the 2011 - 10 seasons I made around 12 pot calls using titanium, it produced just about as well as any material I have used to make calls with. Here is a quote from one post..."so I let out a few pretty yelps on my box elder/titanium pot call(thanks pappy)he doubles back.wait about another 10 mins,dont say a word,hes gobblin like crazy"... I have had folks call me and praise the pots for their ability to work without having to dig a trench down the middle of it and yet produce great turkey sounds and get as loud as you can stand it. This season I want to try corian pots with titanium or go back to teak or box elder, but in the end people must realize the cost of producing these calls have goneup due to the increase in cost of the titanium, it runs around 20 bucks a blank 3 - 1/4" round 0.050" thick....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

drenalinld

The titanium I have is in a plastic pot, but it sounds awesome. Please stop talking about the custom versions before I spend my kids college fund.

redowl

where can i get  titanium ?i wanted to make one and  try it out this past spring where do you buy it.?i got to get me hands on some.

redarrow

Quote from: redowl on June 10, 2011, 03:28:28 PM
where can i get  titanium ?i wanted to make one and  try it out this past spring where do you buy it.?i got to get me hands on some.
I got a titanium plate holding my leg together you can have when I'm gone. But don;t get no ideas. :toothy12:

pappy

you can pick it up on the bay, but be prepared to pay good for it, I bought it for 40.00 a sheet that was 7" X 11" at 0.050" thick.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

decoykrvr

Pappy made me a titanium double/sided over glass in Black & White Ebony before the season this year.  I've played w/ pot calls for over 30 years and have developed a fair ear for what sounds "Turkey" and this call is a real treat.  Like a lot of metal surface calls, the sound can really be manipulated to the fullest extent w/ a wide variety of strikers made w/different woods which all require a little different technique.  I'm all over calls which exhibit a sound, pitch, etc., which the birds have never heard and titanium will do just that.  I never hunt without a slate, copper, and this year, titanium surface call.  IMO both copper and titanium, and to an extent aluminium, calling surfaces are a little more demanding to master than glass, slate or ceramic, but are well worth the effort.  I can't say enough good about Jack Lewis (Pappy) as a person and the craftsmanship and quality of his calls and it might be worth the effort to deconstruct a factory titanium call and resurrect it as a "Pappy Special" or press him to bite the bullet and obtain more titanium for one of his titanium double calls.
Thanks again Jack, I hope and pray that things are going well with you and your family,
Craig