Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

next up AppalachianHollers

Started by JeffC, March 29, 2022, 08:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Okay  AH, no pressure but we are 2 for 2 so far, please keep us updated on your hunt, good or bad. Remember to take lots of pictures and need to hear how everything goes, Good luck and have a safe hunt!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

lacire

AppalachianHollers

Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Spladle160

2 for 2 with with pretty nice birds. The pressures turning up in here.

Did you all get the cold snap that just rolled through? It really shut the birds down here, I had been seeing them daily then nothing for 3 or 4 days, I did see some today though.

Spellnj3

AppalachianHollers

Well, there were no gobbles and no shots heard yesterday. Hunted over 3 miles till about 11:30 before I had to get back. They wouldn't reply to locators or turkey calls. Down the gate I went sign was tricky—because while I did see an area with what looked like plenty of scratch, not too far off was plenty of unmistakeable hog sign. Enough to make me wonder if the "scratch" was just old hog sign that got less defined from recent rain. However, me and a buddy did come across a bit of turkey scat (couldn't tell how old). And the habitat was great.

I'll stay after them. Next time they shut up I'll commit to blind calling near fresh tell-tale sign. Just wasn't any home run fresh sign yesterday to settle down on, and like I said, the scratchings were easy to second guess. Couldn't drive on to another spot easily, given the sheer number of other hunters. So we had to stick it out in our one area, which may come in handy later because it's mentally mapped, now.

Plenty of hunters came out for the opener. Even talked to a guy from MS who yesterday evening drove all the way to the TX line for his job—then after getting home lit out for East TN and drove all night. Beat me to the spot by only 20 minutes!

"Man, you just don't quit, do you?" I chuckled.

His reply: "[There's just] Something about a turkey gobbling."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lacire

You never know what's going to happen tomorrow, sounds like a lot of hunting pressure so stay after them and good luck.

JeffC

I hate opening days, always more people on public then birds. Hopefully things calm down and you are able to get on some birds, thanks for the update, good luck when your able to get out again.

Muzzy61

HillclimberWV

Have you been able to get in the woods much AppalachianHollers