Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

He slipped up!

Started by harleytom, March 24, 2022, 07:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

As I said in an earlier thread, I have been chasing this ol boy since the season started. Except for one morning last week he's been exceptionally quiet off the roost forcing me to play a guessing game as to his location and direction of movement. He's had a large flock of up to 15 hens and 4 large jakes running with him most of the time. I've had trail cams on most of his favorite hangouts and noticed in recent days his harem has been dwindling as some of the hens break off and start to nest. He had been in a field behind my parents the last couple of days(while I was working of course) so I decided to start there yesterday. Of course, dead silence opened the morning and after a few hours I gave up and headed back to eat/regroup. Camera later showed he, the jakes and 5 remaining hens came into the area 30 minutes after I left. After lunch I decided to hunt on my grandparents old place. I set up near a small field and began to do some cold calling. After a couple of fruitless hours calling into a high wind I broke out the old Crystal Mistress and let her do some high pitched sweet talking. About 5 minutes after I finished the sequence he came charging into the field with the jakes and a few hens following close behind. I let him close to 20 yards and then promptly pointed out his most recent mistake to him. My first Mississippi bird in almost 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossyguy

zsully

Oh would you look at that!!!!! Heck of a bird Harleytom!!! Congratulations

Yoder409

Very nice of you to discreetly point out his shortcomings to him.     :TooFunny:

CONGRATS on a job well done !!!!

Always nice to seal it up on one after it's gotten personal.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

harleytom

Thanks folks. Really quiet spring so far. North Bama youth season starts Saturday, went to listen from my favorite spot this morning and heard 3 under less than ideal conditions. Taking my grandson out and see if we can get him on one. Probably won't hunt much myself until April 1st N Bama season starts

twyatt

Tom007

Fantastic, way to go!!!
"Solo hunter"

a_jabbo

Heck Yeah!!! Congratulations

POk3s

Delmar ODonnell

Congratulations!