Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who got you started in Turkey hunting?

Started by FullChoke, March 24, 2022, 02:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

I started hunting turkeys in 1974 when I was a freshman in college in Mississippi. Although my experienced grandfather had taken me on as a young apprentice in the ways of woods and wildlife, he had never shot a turkey. I and my roommates fumbled and stumbled our way towards turkey hunting until 1976 when all four of us took gobblers that same spring. We shared everything that we could find out about the birds with each other and everything just fell together that year. Although the other three still hunt them, I think that I was the one that got completely eaten up with these lusty feathered loudmouths that haunt my dreams.

Who got you going on this lovely path of destruction called Turkey Hunting?

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

My dad got me started. The first pic I have with a gobbler was when I was about 2 weeks old. Season used to start the weekend after my birthday now it starts the day before my birthday. He used to take me every chance he got when I was growing up, killed my first one at 8 and its been a wild ride ever since. We've killed quiet a few bird together and doubled a good many times together. The best hunts are when I would get to call the birds in for him.  We don't get to hunt that much any more but the last hunt we went on together I took him and my daughter on a road trip to KS and Nebraska. I wrote about it a couple years ago but on that trip I got to call in a bird for my little girl, kill a triple with my dad and my daughter, sit beside my daughter as she called in her first bird on her own and got to watch my dad take a bird with my gun at the end of the hunt that was amazing. 

Kygobblergetter

My dad got me started. Along with one of his buddies. Every youth weekend my dad would hunt with me or my brother and his friend would take the other one. They brought me up as a run and gun hunter and to this day I've never shot a turkey out of a blind. Killed my first bird in 2004 when I was 7 years old and I've been completely addicted ever since. I spend as much time as I can every spring chasing these crazy birds and I've tried to get a few others in to it along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk