OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where do you aim on his head?

Started by Uncle Tom, March 21, 2022, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Most people mean caruncle when they say wattle. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Marc on April 06, 2022, 12:53:34 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 24, 2022, 12:22:07 AM

All my dedicated turkey guns have scopes with the Circle-X Reticle, easy to explain the kids and newbs where to shoot. *Pictured as I call it "The Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL
I do not shoot a gun with a red dot or scope...  But I would think that you would set the point of impact where the gun actually shoots?

With a bead, most shotguns shoot a tad high, so I am a tad low (that same circle of death where the feathers meet skin you refer to).  But with a dot or scope, why not set the point of impact so that the gun shoots flat, and aim where you want to hit (or just a tad lower)?

(I am not arguing with your strategy, just wondering)

I/We do aim at the point of the Major Caruncles; it is where the skin meets the feathers. Even when the turkey is walking this is a "steady" point to aim at, always has been a dead bird for us.

MK M GOBL

Twowithone

The base of the neck works very well. 3 in the head and he,s dead. :you_rock:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on May 04, 2023, 12:33:48 PM
I like a big bead[s and I can not lie.........]
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

shaman

I aim for where the neck meets the feathers.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

silvestris

I am a little confused.  Are we talking about a rifle or a shotgun?  It's a pattern.  Just hit him in the upper neck; part of your pattern will find itself in his head.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wchadw

Quote from: captfire on March 28, 2022, 03:28:32 PM
I PUT MINE ABOUT THE MIDDLE OF THE NECK IF HE DROPS HIS HEAD U STILL PUT IT IN HIS HEAD...
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottomland OG

I've never put a lot of thought into where to aim. I was taught growing up to shoot for the head so I always just put the bead on his head and neck. It's gonna cover most of it up anyways.

Tom007

This is my 16 gauge at 35. The blue sticker is where all my are Red Dots are sighted in for. That is the Waddle, "Red Tomato" on the bird. If he ducks he's toast, if he stretches to look, he's cooked, this works real well for me. I set up all my guns this way...be safe
"Solo hunter"

WildTigerTrout

Where the feathers meet his neck.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Marc

Honestly, every gun should be patterned.  Especially for those using ultra-tight turkey chokes at closer ranges.

I pattern with cheap target loads through my turkey choke, to see where the gun is shooting.

I did purchase a new gun, but it was sent back to factory...  So my current turkey gun shoots around a 60/40 pattern (60% of the pattern above center and 40% of the pattern below center) as do most factory guns...

My new gun shoots closer to a 50/50 pattern.  I might adjust my point of aim from the base of the neck to mid neck, depending on my patterning experience.

If you are going to pattern, do NOT shoot your expensive, high-recoiling loads at paper...  Shoot some inexpensive, light-recoiling loads to see where the gun shoots...  Then, use an actual turkey load looks like to make sure it shoots to the same point and gives a good pattern.

My goal on patterning, is to shoot only 3 of the turkey loads (as they are expensive, and recoil A LOT, and you feel that recoil when shooting paper).  I shoot at 20, 30, and 40 yards...  I want to make sure that I actually have a pattern at 20 yards, and that I have enough of a pattern at 40 yards, and that the gun/choke is shooting my loads where I think it is.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobbler428

Quote from: cwhitfield96 on March 04, 2024, 09:34:56 PM
Most people say the wattles but are you meaning the caruncles at the base of the neck?
That's where I put mine, right in the front seat of his "uncles' car"

357MAGNOLE

Middle of the neck with my red dot. Gives me a perfect 10" ring of death for his neck and head and little to 0 pellets in the meat.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson