Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cluck and Purr: A No-Go in a hunting situation?

Started by Master Gobbie, March 03, 2022, 09:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Quote from: Master Gobbie on March 04, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
Quote from: eggshell on March 04, 2022, 09:52:44 AM
Ok EZ, That explains a lot. That is not what I thought the discussion was about. I always called that the feeding call as well or flock talk. Yeah, that call works ok in the spring. when someone says purr to me I always relate that to the more aggressive sounds run faster and sharper.

For the record, No, I was not referring to the Mossberg Video.

If you wanna watch, I was referring to the following video, start at 5:30, maybe turn up a bit

https://youtu.be/w_Oc2cBqGfg?t=330

Yeah, that's an aggravated purr.....fighting purr. Gobblers and hens do it. Those hens in the video were doing it because they saw the decoy. Still, nothing alarming about it. Turkeys do it all the time. I don't use decoys but I can imagine the guys that do have seen that quite a bit.

Master Gobbie

Yeah, that's an aggravated purr.....fighting purr. Gobblers and hens do it. Those hens in the video were doing it because they saw the decoy. Still, nothing alarming about it. Turkeys do it all the time. I don't use decoys but I can imagine the guys that do have seen that quite a bit.
[/quote]

That's where my opinion landed too.

Proverbs  3: 5-6

ChesterCopperpot

Yeah, there's a huge difference between contentment purrs, whines, and whistles and the louder more aggressive purrs. Here's a riot broke out amidst the girls this winter and they were all purring and raising a ruckus. Fun to watch. Personally I think both purrs have a place, but when I'm doing louder fighting purrs I'm running more than one call at a time. I've had quite a few times gobblers come in to watch the fight. As for the other, I do soft purrs and clucks almost every call sequence, especially when they're inside 75. I think all turkey talk has a place in the hunter's arsenal. Key is knowing how those sounds are used and then using them to paint whatever picture you're trying to paint. https://youtu.be/kaUeJ4wJG9w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: EZ on March 04, 2022, 10:49:56 AM
Quote from: Master Gobbie on March 04, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
Quote from: eggshell on March 04, 2022, 09:52:44 AM
Ok EZ, That explains a lot. That is not what I thought the discussion was about. I always called that the feeding call as well or flock talk. Yeah, that call works ok in the spring. when someone says purr to me I always relate that to the more aggressive sounds run faster and sharper.

For the record, No, I was not referring to the Mossberg Video.

If you wanna watch, I was referring to the following video, start at 5:30, maybe turn up a bit

https://youtu.be/w_Oc2cBqGfg?t=330

When I have used decoys I have heard the fighting purr from hens, jakes and gobblers.  When a turkey is purring in any fashion they are not alarmed, probably quite the contrary.  I have really seen toms get agitated and want to fight something while using the fighting purr.  I think any turkey sound used at the right time on the right bird that's in the right mood can be helpful except individual putts. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

Pile of turkeys at the house that I fool around with all year. Most evenings this time of year I'll do some light calling on the ridge just to try to get them to roost closer for the next morning. Anyhow, tonight I went up there and made it a point to soft call purrs and clucks. Had a hen crank up immediately and come all the way up the mountain till she saw me sitting there on a stump in overalls and a bright red shirt and flew off I sent EZ the sound file over text (and will send to whoever wants to hear it; just message me your number), but she most certainly wasn't buggered by the purrs and clucks. She most assuredly was buggered by the ugly fellow making them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compton30

Denny Gulvas clucks and purrs at gobblers to get them close. He's spent more time around wild turkeys than I ever will and is a better caller than I ever will be. It's not relatively close. I'd  say it goes for 99.9% of this forum but I don't get into internet arguments anymore. That being said, I cluck and purr at gobblers

Master Gobbie

Quote from: compton30 on March 04, 2022, 11:27:39 PM
Denny Gulvas clucks and purrs at gobblers to get them close. He's spent more time around wild turkeys than I ever will and is a better caller than I ever will be. It's not relatively close. I'd  say it goes for 99.9% of this forum but I don't get into internet arguments anymore. That being said, I cluck and purr at gobblers

Thanks for your input, and I hear you about not getting into arguments anymore.

With the geographic range of the wild turkey and the sheer number of hunters, there's going to be differences in opinions, and that's all they are, opinions.

Proverbs  3: 5-6

jmart241

I've had goodluck with soft clucks and purrs over the years learned from the gulvas videos

paboxcall

One of the old callmaker masters once told me long ago that "clucks kill turks."

He's right.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spitten and drummen

Yes , I cluck and purr and have had great luck making that gobbler close in a few more yards. That being said , I do them ever so soft. If you were 40 yards from me , it would be hard to hear them. A turkey on the other hand probably hears them a 100 yards away. Alot of people dont realize that a hen is talking constantly even if you dont hear them. Many also dont realize that they make all sorts of different little subtle sounds. Loud is not always good. The softest turkey like sounds that you can make can be heard by turkeys alot farther than you think.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hersh

I hunt mostly public land and am confident that a purr/ cluck sequence kills a lot of birds that mostly just here constant yelping from everyone else.

shatcher

I'd have to go back and double check, but in the spring, Lovett Williams said that anything outside of clucks and yelps (soft more than loud) was a waste of time.  Whatever works for you.  Good luck.