Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Favorite Callers

Started by FullChoke, March 14, 2022, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

If you look through any extensive turkey call collection, you can get a pretty baffling vision of how many different, effective turkeys calls have been invented, taken to the woods and have called gobblers to the gun.

What calls do you carry in your vest or pockets and what is your go-to call in the spring to invite Tom to dinner?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

zelmo1

2 pots with 3 strikers, one box call/ maybe 2 this year, 3 mouth calls, crow call, and a primos jake gobbler. The pots are one of my own( green slate in a bubinga or wenge pot or a black slate in an osage pot and a Steve Reeves "Double Suicide". I have 2 awesome boxes, one is from Josh Farley ( Wv) and Mike Robare (Fla). Mouth calls are woodhaven 'Green Hornet" and a Wolverine from my buddy Del Crow( DC Calls), he may have a different name for it lol. Crow call is an HS Strut

turkeyhunter91

i went through my vest a last week because i bought a new one and moved everything over, most of what i carry are the same calls that i have used for years but last year i decided to add a couple new ones. i wanted to try a trumpet and decided to make my own, after a lot of hrs and pieces of wood i finally had 1 that i liked. i used it quite a bit and called in a couple different birds for people with it that wouldn't respond to anything else i threw at them. i also added a primos tube call and i plan on having both of them with me again this season. when i was a kid my dad and i would go go out to our wood shop and build a few turkey calls during the winter. my box call and 1 of my strikers are calls he built. i also carry a glass call from magnolia game calls and a primos freak that i bought several years ago. i use a diaphram call a lot and carry a few different brands/cuts with me while hunting. for locating i mainly use a crow call or owl hoot with my mouth but i also carry a goose and peacock call for places that might have more pressure or when nothing else is working.

FullChoke

I typically run a diaphragm call for the majority of the day. I like the Executioner 2 from Hook's because the turkeys like it. Versatile call that you can get loud or reel it back in for quiet feeding and contentment calling. I have 2 pot calls from Zelmo1 that sound amazing and I mix them up with several different strikers for different sounds. I also carry a Lil Heartbreaker box call from Primos. When the birds want that volume and snap, there is nothing like it. I always carry a wingbone yelper that I made and pull it out when I know that there are turkeys in an area that just aren't responding to the other calls. It has a singular frequency that the public land birds just don't ever hear from other hunters.

I try to have all of these in my vest every time I head out because nothing works every time.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

I am most comfortable using a diaphragm call that I make myself. Second on my go to list is my Madhatter 4 track copper pot made my buddy Redbeard some years ago. Those two have seen a few birds toted back to the truck.  I've got a lot of other calls that I want to use but I'm just not as confident with them as I am the other two. When you hunt where I hunt you don't get many chances so to take a chance with something else is hard to do.  I did venture out last year and killed one with a cane call a buddy made for me as a gift, so I was pumped about that.   I'm going to try to commit to using a Trumpet, made by my buddy Anthony Ellis over at AGE Turkey Trumpets, this year and see if I can get one with it.   I natural voice owl and crow call although I've got some nice calls for that, I just carry the crow call every so often.  I've tried to cut my vest weight down as much as I can.