turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mueller Season Review

Started by Crappiepro, June 08, 2011, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

Well season's almost done so lets hear about the Mueller site's. Any bad reviews? Anyone have any problems? I figure their may be a few of you guys that put them through the mill and was pretty ruff on'em. How did they hold up? I will be putting one on my gun for next season if the over all reports say "Good things"  I know they are man made so we can expect a few things to happen but whats your over all opinion?

mossy835

Like mine my guide did also. Just need to get some Loctite for the mount. Knew it just did not get it done. Stayed on target through many test shots so far.

redleg06

I loved mine for the first 4 gobblers, then as number 5 was walking into range my reticle failed me (showed up in pieces - not a battery failure and hard to explain but it was a failure). 

Called and emailed customer service and they were great. Had a brand new scope to me at no cost or hassel within 2 days (in other words they sent me a new one without seeing mine that i was sending back).

if nothing else I would back their product based on customer service alone :z-winnersmiley:

redleg06

I felt like I should add on to my other review so here it goes...

The Good:

I have mine mounted on an new 870 12 gauge and put a number of rounds threw the gun with the scope sighting it in, patterning with different chokes/ loads etc...(like most of us tend to do) and ended up taking 5 birds with it this year.  Most of my shot's were 3 1/2" shells and the scope held zero very well.   The Mag Blends kick like a borrowed Mule and if can hold up to them, it can withstand about any kind of shock you want to put down the barrel.

Im aggressive with my turkey hunting and my equipment as a result. I dont mind crawling and sneaking threw the thick stuff when I need to and i did plenty of that this season and I never once felt like the scope would have an issue with being to fragile to handle the abuse as it seems to be very well built and sturdy.  As expected, the scope never had an issue with  any of it and held zero the entire season.

I really like the size of the scope as it sits on my gun and the 4 options you have to choose from as far as reticles go.  The Euro Dot  style was my personal favorite.  Ive shot red dots with just the dots and they are fine as well but having the multiple options is a nice feature just the same. 

As far as battery life goes, I used this gun all season at the "auto brightness" setting and it worked without fail for me.  I hunted plenty of afternoons when you kind of expect the birds to come in silent so I would leave the scope on auto as I waited so I wouldnt have to mess with it if one snuck in on me and the battery never showed any signs of wearing out.  I do like that you dont have to take the scope off to change the battery when you do decide to.  I kept a spare in my vest just in case and in the event that I needed to change it out in the middle of the hunt, I think it would have been a very quick and easy task without needing any tools or hassle.  This was a big selling feature for me because the last thing that I want to worry about is a battery issue in the middle of a hunt.

The last factor was that I picked up mine for about 100$ brand new so the price is very very fair.

I found the field of view to be very very good and this is the main reason that I went with a scope like this verses a more traditional tube style red dot. 

The Bad:

I did have a malfunction on the reticle on one of the last hunts of the season.  It's difficult to describe what happened but using the Euro dot,  the best way to describe what happened is that the cross hair style projection was showing up in some spots but not others. Basically, it looked like someone had taken an eraser and erratically erased bits and pieces of the "+" so the light was clearly on and trying to project but only in splotches.   I had called this bird in from quite some distance so I turned my scope on when I knew he was approaching and the scope was completely normal when I checked it at that point but when he got to about 60 yds and I saw him and got my gun up on him, I saw that the dot was malfunctioning.  Long story short, the bird kept coming into 35 yds or so as I was trying to tap the scope, turn it off and on etc.... before he decided something was off and started leaving.  As, is my luck when he got just out of range, the scope started working properly again but the bird was gone and not coming back. This malfunction was off and on for the next day or so and I went ahead and contacted Mueller to send it back for a replacement. 

Customer Service- 
I got back to my office Monday morning and sent an email to their customer service box and had a response back within the hour telling me to send it back with the proof of purchase and they would replace it, no questions asked.  I explained what happened and while they said this was extremely rare, they had heard of it before and apologized for it.  This was still during turkey season and they had a new scope in my mail box by Wednesday even though I'm sure they didnt receive my return until later that week.  They never saw a picture or the actual scope I was returning but took me at my word and replaced it, no questions asked. 

I dont remember the last time that I've had such quality customer service from any product and, as most of you probably realize, this is one thing that is hard to find these days. 

Overall:

I would 100% buy another scope from them because I believe the product is quality and more than that, they are willing to make it right with their customers.  Their return policy doesnt guarantee the kind of fast service they provided me and although my season was almost over by the time I needed the replacement, they didnt know this but made sure to get one back to me within 48 hours so that I would have been able to hunt the next weekend. 

I hope this helps.

sugarray

Mine functioned with out problem. 

The auto was not bright enough for me at first light, so I used 4, but that was personal preference.

I bought this thinking I would use the CQB reticle, but found it a little small while hunting and used the bigger dot when I killed my turkeys, and if I use it next year I'll try the smallest dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I'm going to retype this to be fair on what I previously said.  I'm glad they fixed it for you that quickly.  I am sorry that sight cost you a bird though.  That sucks.  But in all fairness things do happen.  And as long as it never does it again, or ever fails you again then I guess that will be well enough.  But if I ever had a scope fail me more than once, it would be gone in a second.  I have yet to have a scope fail me. 

HOOKS1

I have 2 of these sights, 1 on an 935 Mossy and 1 on a 20 gauge Remington 870. Had both for several years with hundreds of rounds shot through both guns with no problems.

vthunter_08

Well I like the Mueller a lot but I also had a problem with mine this past season.  I was late getting it zeroed partly due to bad weather but I should have started earlier in the year.

After I thought I had it close to zeroed I went to the range a second time and found the zero way off.  Made more adjustments and found I couldn't get it right.  Suddenly the POI would be way out.  I was shooting a new Mossy 835 previously untested and I wasn't sure if I was dealing with a choke, barrel, load or sight problem, but suspected the sight since it was always changing. 

The other thing that I noticed on the sight was the elevation screw turned freely with no clicks or noticable detent which was different than the windage screw.  This was just a few days before the start of the hunting season. 

I contacted Mueller service and they suggested I return the sight for service or replacement.   Their service was quick and they replaced the sight in about a week turnaround without any charge.  I agree with Redleg06 their service is very good.

The worst part of this was it was during part of the turkey hunting season and the other is I shot more very expensive TSS shot at paper than the cost of the sight itself.

But the new Mueller seems to hold zero and as I stated earlier I like the sight a lot.  I'm hoping I won't have any more issues.

Dave.

somedude

mine did like it's supposed to do. :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

harleytomms

Mine worked flawlessly. It was a bit dim in early AM light on auto brightness. Held zero great even though I put it through some really tough conditions.

mossy835

Mine this year allowed me to fill my two tags with limited vision on my right eye so I have to shoot right handed and aim with my left eye. It really surprised me on how quick I was able to get on the second bird that was just lifting off after a good long run. Happy with it and it is allowing me to hunt seriously again. Oh and do not forget the loctite as I did on the first testing it makes a big difference!

chatterbox

Do you guys loctite the site down, or just the bases?

mossy835

For me just the base, two birds down and a sight in before the hunt and all is well so far.

chatterbox

I enjoyed mine for the brief time I had it on my 535.
I'm seriously thinking about one for the 835, but don't want a weaver base. Is there any other base that works with the Mueller?

mossy835

Check the Mossberg website as they used to have rails that should work.