Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Describe Your Hunt Style

Started by AppalachianHollers, March 10, 2022, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacire

I'm in California and we haven't been able to use any lead for any hunting since 2019, now we're restricted to using bismuth, steel, hevi shot, solid copper or TSS. I'll be using a Benelli 20ga. Carlson's choke and Apex 3" 1 5/8 oz #9 shot, (I posted my patterns last year), currently over an open bead but that may change as I'm getting older. I hunt with my son who'll already have done the scouting for us and usually has a couple places set up. We hunt all different kinds of terrain, flat, rolling hills and some pretty steep places, from orchards and open fields to mountains with oaks and pines. It can be hot and sunny or wet, cold, raining and foggy, we never know. I'm not much for patient waiting but I have a chair, a pad and I've sat almost all day in blinds, I love upland hunting, with lots of walking and searching for the birds, so run and gun is more my style. I usually let my son do the calling, I have a couple boxes, some mouth calls, one slate pot call, a push pin and I just made some wing bone calls this year and I've been practicing with one of them. So I'm not a call collector but would like to purchase a trumpet in the future. Good luck to everyone on the team.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr