Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Our Reps Are On The Line!!

Started by GobbleNut, March 09, 2022, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

One of those turkeys you see eating on the side of the road was up on the barn roof this afternoon, was hoping he would stay there tonite so I could have a roosted is roasted experiences, but he flew the coop.

probably wouldn't of been much fun, never heard him gobble even once

guesswho

Throw a dead possum by the barn.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

It's been fun. I especially enjoy the banter. Heck that's what I signed up for anyways.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on May 01, 2022, 08:51:38 PM
It's been fun. I especially enjoy the banter. Heck that's what I signed up for anyways.

Banter smanter!  This here is serious biness we're talking about.  Ain't no time for levity!  You boys wipe those smiles off your faces and git them noses to the grindstone!  We're goin' for a sho'nuff beatdown in this here contest!  Now git after it!  Yur captain has spoke!  :toothy9:

Happy

All I heard was blah blah blah, I am captain Gobblenut. Anyways I am too good looking to go putting my nose on a grindstone. On a serious note I haven't heard anything from Reflexl in a few weeks. I messaged him about a week ago and no response. Hope it's nothing serious.

guesswho

I'll be heading out as soon as I look up smanter in the dictionary (google).   

Hopefully Reflexl is ok and will check in before to long. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on May 02, 2022, 06:19:22 AM
All I heard was blah blah blah, I am captain Gobblenut. Anyways I am to good looking to go putting my nose on a grindstone. On a serious note I haven't heard anything from Reflexl in a few weeks. I messaged him about a week ago and no response. Hope it's nothing serious.

First of all, that's captain GobbleNut SIR to you buddy boy!  You may substitute "illustrious potentate" for that if you wanna.   ;D

I think reflexl (Roy) is on the mend based on his communications.  I believe he said he was going back to work today and was planning on hitting the woods again in the next couple of weeks if things went well.  We need him back for sure.  Our smack-talk meter is not nearly as effective when he is not here to keep that motor running at max output!   :D

Ronnie,...before you look it up,...I will point out that I misspelled smanter.  It's supposed to be "schmanter".  ...Don't want you to be any more confused than you  usually are... :toothy9:

Happy

Good, glad to hear Roy is ok. I am tied up with work till the weekend and then will be trying to help my boy and a buddy each get a gobbler so don't expect much from me for a bit. I don't expect I will be behind the gun for a while unless one of them tags one early enough for me to get some hunting time.

Happy

I forgot to add Captain Gobblenut, Illustrious Potentate sir. I will bow and crawl out now.

eggshell

Well Ky birds whooped my butt again today. Never got a set up, they have moved across a ravine and couldn't get on them fast enough, then silence

Happy

Keep after them. They can't hide forever. I am just gonna go over and stir things up with the Boring 20 fellows now that I am not able to be in the woods for a while. Just trying to fill in for Reflexl. Our captain seems to be awful encouraging of this behavior yet he seldom participates, must be his naptime. Also I haven't seen our boat recently. He didn't loose it in a poker game did he?

eggshell

This has been an off year for me. Everyone has one of "those years" every so often and this is mine. Kentucky has been a briar in my heel the last two seasons. From people to uncooperative birds to my dumb mistakes it just hasn't been good. I am losing my drive to hunt very hard. I hope I get a little more motivated by the time I get to South Dakota, but my enthusiasm is waning

zelmo1

I need to step up my points game, lol. I got a nice bird doubling with my wife yesterday and couldn't be happier with a 57 point bird. The smile on my wifes face and memory is worth forking over a call to GN. She also pulled off the best shot I have ever witnessed on her Tom, WITH MY GUN!!! Good luck and God Bless guys, stay safe. Al

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on May 02, 2022, 09:02:57 PM
This has been an off year for me. Everyone has one of "those years" every so often and this is mine. Kentucky has been a briar in my heel the last two seasons. From people to uncooperative birds to my dumb mistakes it just hasn't been good. I am losing my drive to hunt very hard. I hope I get a little more motivated by the time I get to South Dakota, but my enthusiasm is waning

As you say, we all have years when it seems nothing is going right,...and, yes, it is really hard to stay motivated when they come around.  Been there,...Done that!  What I have found is that when I throw in the towel for whatever reason, after the season, I always regret not putting in that extra bit of effort that I should have.  As Happy said, it is a long wait until next season.  Great advice for us to keep in mind and focus on just enjoying this one for what it is,...another chance to do what we love.

Getting philosophical for a moment:  I am at that age where a guy starts to realize,..."Hey, I made the 'round trip' again this year and I have another spring to do this thing I love to do, and the health I need to do it. I only have so many years left to do this, and I should make the best of it, whether the turkeys cooperate or not."  Quite honestly, that is easier said than done.  Age also seems to bring an attitude (for me, at least) that my individual success is less important than the overall experience, but that only goes so far before frustration can set in with that "throw in the towel" attitude. 

Ever since I was a youngster, my family always had house cats.  With every one of them, they went from the stage in their younger years of wanting to catch and kill every bird they saw to a late-life stage of just sitting there and watching the birds without going after them.  I always asked myself why they changed with age from being focused killers to being seemingly indifferent to the same prey.  I am beginning to understand the process of how that happens more clearly now. I see it happening with me,...and that is a fairly recent phenomenon.

That's not to say that I necessarily like being at that stage, but it is a reality. Sometimes, to keep hunting hard, I find myself fighting to overcome that "old cat" indifference... :)

GobbleNut

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 03, 2022, 07:49:23 AM
I need to step up my points game, lol. I got a nice bird doubling with my wife yesterday and couldn't be happier with a 57 point bird. The smile on my wifes face and memory is worth forking over a call to GN. She also pulled off the best shot I have ever witnessed on her Tom, WITH MY GUN!!! Good luck and God Bless guys, stay safe. Al

I am sure I speak for all of us old goats in wishing you (and your wife) much success in your hunting endeavors. ....Just stay in that 50-point range and all will be good!   ;D :angel9: