Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Happy's pre-season prep thread

Started by Happy, March 09, 2022, 06:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

I got my camo out yesterday.  I'll spray permethrin tomorrow.  May sight in the shotgun also.
Most of my camping gear is together.  Need to start getting clothes organized.  Headed to the swamps next week.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Happy

Good luck Steve, be safe and I hope you enjoy yourself

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

Welp the wife is out coaching volleyball so time to pull some calls out and see what the neighbors tame turkeys think.

Happy

Calling was a Success! I have picked out my pot calls I will use this year and the neighbors turkey gobbled nonstop. Of course he gobbled when a dog started howling as well so I ain't to sure what that says about my calling.

crow

Quote from: Happy on March 13, 2022, 08:06:23 PM
Calling was a Success! I have picked out my pot calls I will use this year and the neighbors turkey gobbled nonstop. Of course he gobbled when a dog started howling as well so I ain't to sure what that says about my calling.

it says you need to get a turkey dog,

the dogs around me just love to hear turkey calls, esp., kee kee's and coyote howling on a wingbone

Happy

Tried a few mouth calls today. My purrs are rusty as is my super secret finishing call. I dubbed it the "twerky" call. Its basically an audible version of .. well you know. Interested gobblers come running in and gobblers worried about picking up an STD run the other way.

crow

Is that what happened to the funky chicken, he got Some Terrible Disease

Happy

Maybe. Does look like his lower half rotted off.

crow

His upper half looks like he had a mix of consumption and the bloody flux

reflexl

I am going to have to drag calls out. Planned calls this year are:
(2) pot calls by Sway Cornelius
(1) pot by Riley Corder
(1) ebony/walnut box by Matt Van Cise
(1) original Gibson box
(1) a Doug Camp box
(1) pot by Doug Camp

Guns in rotation this year:
Winchester model 42
Winchester model 12
Lefever Nitro Special
Rem 870 28 gauge/tru-glow pro sights
H&R Huntsman
Guns on standby for this year:
835/ .676 Stardot/ Scoped
870 Super Mag tru-glo pro sights
870 20gauge
I am retiring some turley guns. My BPS has been de-turkeyed. Truthfully it wasn't fair. With TSS is was like shooting the with a rifle. I want them in my face before I shoot and that gun made it too tempting to bust them at ranges I won't even discuss. FYI #8 TSS will penetrate 7/16" wafer board at 100 yards.

timberjack86

Welp between the chaos of work, 4 nights of school and buying a house I did score a Lynch world champion this week!! I'm ready  :fud:

reflexl

Love those old lynches as well. Mine is setting this year out though.

Happy

GOAT tip #whatever number we are on
I was trying to think of a good way to be helpful to all the teams competing against us and here is what I came up with. Its a great aid for people who don't have a steady hand and can't color inside the lines.Your welcome fellas. Maybe you'll get one on the fridge yet.

reflexl

Happy

Just trying to make sure I cover my end on the smack talk in case I fail to kill a turkey this year!