Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scoring and Pictures Discussion

Started by GobbleNut, March 03, 2022, 04:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

I shot one last year that had a 3'' ingrown hair that was added to the overall length of the beard

GobbleNut

Okay team, Randy has gotten us off to a great start in the contest.  His pictures and measurements bring up a good point for discussion.  Specifically, the weight measurement brings up a question that all of us need to be aware of.  A lot of the new digital scales will let you choose how you weigh your bird.  Preferrably, we want the weight to be shown in pounds and ounces,...not pounds and tenths of a pound. If you use a digital scale that has options like that, make sure you use the "pounds and ounces" function.  (Randy is checking his scale to verify for me which it was set at on his)

In Randy's pictures, you will see that his scale is reading 16.4 pounds.  That .4 could mean four tenths of a pound or it can mean four ounces, depending on how the scale is set.  If the reading is in ounces, then the weight value for the score is 16.25 rather than 16.4.  I know I am being a bit nitpicky here, so please forgive me for that.  I am just trying to make sure everybody understands this and we are all on the same page.   :icon_thumright:

Rapscallion Vermilion

It sure looks like Randy's scale is decimal lbs, not lbs and ounces.  All the scales I've looked at that break out lbs and ounces don't have the decimal point and show both "lbs" and "oz" separately.  If you had a scale with a decimal point that was supposed to be pounds and ounces, then 18 lbs 14 ounces would be 18.14?  That would be nuts.  I couldn't find anything in the contest rules about required units.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 21, 2022, 05:38:02 AM
It sure looks like Randy's scale is decimal lbs, not lbs and ounces.  All the scales I've looked at that break out lbs and ounces don't have the decimal point and show both "lbs" and "oz" separately.  If you had a scale with a decimal point that was supposed to be pounds and ounces, then 18 lbs 14 ounces would be 18.14?  That would be nuts.

Yeah, you would think that would be the case, but I have seen scales that read in ounces but have the decimal point. Pretty sure I still have one of them. 
Regardless, everybody needs to make sure they are reading their scales correctly one way or the other...   

In case of doubt, an easy way to verify one way or the other is to hang the scale and pull down slowly.  If the number of the right of the decimal point goes above 9 (reads up to 15 and then goes to the next pound), then the scale is reading in ounces rather than tenths of a pound. If the number to the right of the decimal point goes from 9 to the next pound, then it is reading in tenths of a pound.   :icon_thumright:

guesswho

I'm in way over my head.   Can I just ship my birds to our captain so he can take pictures, measure, weigh, find a news paper,  and score them?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

I just took of my boots and socks and did some high-level math. Gobblenut said he had 11 tags so with the one turkey already on the board that leaves him with 8 slots to fill with 11 tags. If I carried the one correctly that means he only has to bat about .730. That sound perfectly doable for a GOAT and puts the rest of us on easy street,watching the tweety birds and whatnot. No pressure Jim.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 01:35:29 PM
I'm in way over my head.   Can I just ship my birds to our captain so he can take pictures, measure, weigh, find a news paper,  and score them?

Yeah, this captaining stuff is getting way more complicated than my feeble mind is capable of handling.  I had to do a lot of guzintas to figure out all that complicated weight jibber-jabber I posted.  Had to go take a nap so my head would stop spinning.   ;D

Quote from: Happy on March 21, 2022, 02:52:09 PM
I just took of my boots and socks and did some high-level math. Gobblenut said he had 11 tags so with the one turkey already on the board that leaves him with 8 slots to fill with 11 tags. If I carried the one correctly that means he only has to bat about .730. That sound perfectly doable for a GOAT and puts the rest of us on easy street,watching the tweety birds and whatnot. No pressure Jim.
If we go by your math, we are in big trouble!  I would advise somebody else killing an extra one or two to make up for me being on the team...   :newmascot:

randy6471

Well leave it the guy that can't swim to jump into the deep end of the pool without a life jacket!!

I can't guarantee it, but hopefully I got this picture/scoring stuff figured out. I didn't think it would kick my butt as bad as it did....that's where thinkin got me. At least I knocked the dust off of my calls and my shotgun is now patterned, so I promise to do better next time!!

Holy crap....I didn't realize that bein a GOAT was this hard!!  ;D ;D

Happy

Ya done fine Randy. Congrats on the gobbler. If nothing else we will stick together and swim to shore. Except Gobblenut, he has to go down with the ship. One of the perks of being captain I guess.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Yep, for someone who claimed to not know how to post pictures, you picked it up quite nicely, Randy.  It's like a lot of other stuff, it seems real complicated until you  figure it out and have done in a time or two, and then you say,..."well heck, that's not so hard!" 
As for "goin' down with the ship"....for some of us, once you have done it a time or two, ya' just learn to accept being in over your head.   :toothy9:

guesswho

We have a ship?   Maybe when we win the trophy we can celebrate on the bay.   Gobblenut can pass it from the ship to me in my Jon Boat.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 06:34:48 PM
We have a ship?   Maybe when we win the trophy we can celebrate on the bay.   Gobblenut can pass it from the ship to me in my Jon Boat.

If we are gonna have any chance at a trophy and a celebration on the bay, you better learn how to get your camera out and take some pictures, bubba!   ;D

crow

So are you saying my accurate non digital "Fishermans De-liar" scale is not going to cut it for this,

I am way past being in over my head

eggshell

Do stick figures work? I bet Ronnie can draw some good pictures. Or he could just use this emoji  :newmascot:

guesswho

Man, ain't even in the game yet and have been reprimanded by the captain.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff