Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Where and When

Started by GobbleNut, March 03, 2022, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Where is everybody hunting this spring and when are you getting started? 

For me, things get rolling on April 9th in Arizona.
Next up is New Mexico on my home turf starting April 15th.  NM is a two-bird state, so I will probably string out hunting here as long as I can (I also have my hat in the drawings for a couple of other "special opportunity" bonus hunts here in NM, which could add another couple of gobblers here if I was to get extremely lucky in those drawings).
I might run up to Colorado for a few days around the first of May (but that is real iffy).
Around May 10th, I am headed to South Dakota with plans to hit Nebraska either before or after.  If SD goes as planned and time allows, I may grab a Wyoming permit since it will be right next door.

Predictions for my season:  I suppose if all was to go perfectly, I could end up with the possibility of eleven gobblers in all those plans, but based on my past performance, I would think maybe four or five would be a more realistic goal.  Most or all of those birds are going to be Merriam's and Rio/Merriam's hybrids, which means that I am not likely to help the team score much in the contest. 

I will mainly be giving "attaboys" to the rest of the team to keep us out of the cellar on the team scoring chart.   Regardless, I will try to do my part in giving the other teams the "yo' momma" treatment!   ;D

reflexl

Tennessee starting April 16th. Trying to squeak out enough time to go rio hunting in Texas. Most of my job is procurement and with the shortages of building materials my work load has increased dramatically. 

reflexl

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 03, 2022, 08:45:32 AM
Where is everybody hunting this spring and when are you getting started? 

For me, things get rolling on April 9th in Arizona.
Next up is New Mexico on my home turf starting April 15th.  NM is a two-bird state, so I will probably string out hunting here as long as I can (I also have my hat in the drawings for a couple of other "special opportunity" bonus hunts here in NM, which could add another couple of gobblers here if I was to get extremely lucky in those drawings).
I might run up to Colorado for a few days around the first of May (but that is real iffy).
Around May 10th, I am headed to South Dakota with plans to hit Nebraska either before or after.  If SD goes as planned and time allows, I may grab a Wyoming permit since it will be right next door.

Predictions for my season:  I suppose if all was to go perfectly, I could end up with the possibility of eleven gobblers in all those plans, but based on my past performance, I would think maybe four or five would be a more realistic goal.  Most or all of those birds are going to be Merriam's and Rio/Merriam's hybrids, which means that I am not likely to help the team score much in the contest. 

I will mainly be giving "attaboys" to the rest of the team to keep us out of the cellar on the team scoring chart.   Regardless, I will try to do my part in giving the other teams the "yo' momma" treatment!   ;D

What part of New Mexico? I used to live in Cloud Croft.

GobbleNut

Quote from: reflexl on March 03, 2022, 08:51:29 AM
What part of New Mexico? I used to live in Cloud Croft.

Wow, what a coincidence!  I live in Las Cruces and actually have property between Cloudcroft and Mayhill.  How long ago did you live in Cloudcroft?  We might have crossed paths at some point! 

reflexl

Back in the 70s. My cousin used to own the Chevy dealership in Alamogordo. My dad was stationed at MacGregor Range. Loved eating at La Posta in Las Cruces. One of my uncles owned Edwards Auto Parts in Anthony for over 30 years. Lived in El Paso too.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Living in Maine now after 35 years in New Mexico. My season starts with a trip back to New Mexico in late April and hopefully meet up with GobbleNut for a beer or two if we can manage to coordinate. He naps a lot, so we'll see.  ;D  From there I'll fly to western Massachusetts to hunt with a long time buddy.  After that, the Maine season opens and New Hampshire is less than two hours away.  Based on recent history, better than even odds I'll kill a turkey.

Happy

Season opens in Mid April for me. Have a couple states I and the boy will hunt and a couple friends I will try to get gobblers. I have enough tags that I don't have any excuses(yet). Anymore I ain't to concerned with being the shooter. I enjoy getting others on one about as much as myself.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

timberjack86

I'll be in East TN hunting the Cherokee national forest. :fud:

crow

I'll be starting mid April in Md., have a couple of states lined up.

just finished a late turkey hunt several weeks ago, squirrels just ended, still have crows and groundhogs to hunt in the meanwhile

I'll hunt a mixture of old, older and even older guns

avidnwoutdoorsman

My Season will open April 9th in Arizona... with Gobblenut!

Arpil 15th I head to MX. Should time allow between hunts I have arrangements in NV.

The rest of the season I will be playing in WA and/or OR and/or BC... who knows could get crazy and hunt ID or MT.

Got a bit of news at work yesterday that I could be relocating to a new job (again work in Construction Management) so that will play a heavy factor in what I get to or don't get to do after MX.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

reflexl

Quote from: crow on March 03, 2022, 10:09:13 PM

just finished a late turkey hunt several weeks ago, squirrels just ended, still have crows and groundhogs to hunt in the meanwhile

I am going to use some antiques as well. 1936 model 12, 1928 Lefever double and 1948 Model 42. Also a H&R Huntsman black powder shotgun and in the process of buying an original flintlock fowling piece.

eggshell

Start in Ky mid April, then home in Ohio a week later and to South Dakota mid May. I hope in all that driving I can pick up at least one road kill somewhere.

crow

Quote from: reflexl on March 04, 2022, 08:20:24 AM
Quote from: crow on March 03, 2022, 10:09:13 PM

I am going to use some antiques as well. 1936 model 12, 1928 Lefever double and 1948 Model 42. Also a H&R Huntsman black powder shotgun and in the process of buying an original flintlock fowling piece.

I was looking at your guns, nice ones.
What gauge is the fowler?

I have a Rev. war era smoothbore I hunt with sometimes, it has a Charleville barrel that feels like somebody may have jug choked at some time.

for the last several years I've mainly hunted with a 1950's savage 20 ga. single, with tss it will kill a gobbler farther than I'll shoot one.

once in a while I hunt with a 1880's blackpowder shotshell hammer gun. it's not choked heavy so your limited on distance but still fun to hunt with, just have to watch your setups, last gobbler with it was in an area with steep ridges, was 27yds when he popped up on top

picked up a 1921 Greener sxs last summer and still refining some loads for it, wish all sxs's were regulated as good as it its

I can't keep up with all these threads, hope this isn't Happy's anti gun/have fun thread  :TooFunny:

randy6471

Gonna kick off the season in Florida in a couple of weeks. Then home to Pa to wait for the season opener on April 30th. Still trying to put together an out of state hunt in mid April, but it's not looking good right now. Either way I'll do my best to contribute a bird to the GOATS scoreboard.

eggshell

go get em Randy and put us on the board. If you need help with posting pics let me know and I'll help. I think you said you hadn't posted pics before, right.