turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First box call build

Started by HillclimberWV, February 27, 2022, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

So this is my first completed box call. Its not been finished or sealed but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I dont have any money in it. Was free lumber i had laying around. Poplar body and white oak lid. Going to tinker with it and try some other lids i think i got this one too thick. If anybody has suggestions on the tuning let me know.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/7uoEf
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Excellent first effort !!!!!!!!!!

That call will HUNT !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

HillclimberWV

roosterstraw

callmakerman

That call will hunt all day long. Get the right chalk (red or blue) so it grabs a little bit more and practice the clucks so they're a bit crisper. Thats a great first box and deserves to hunt.

moonman

Nothing wrong with that! Sounds good. :icon_thumright:
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Spring Creek Calls

I'd say you have a bright future. Keep at it!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 02, 2022, 11:42:41 AM
Thanks i appreciate that. I'm using the yellow heart poplar box i got off of you as a benchmark for my calls. Hopefully someday i can make one that sounds as good as it.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: HillclimberWV on March 02, 2022, 01:36:24 PM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 02, 2022, 11:42:41 AM
Thanks i appreciate that. I'm using the yellow heart poplar box i got off of you as a benchmark for my calls. Hopefully someday i can make one that sounds as good as it.

Wow, that is the ultimate compliment!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

HillclimberWV

Over the weekend i built a companion to the call and sealed them both. The second has a much lighter lid that i think plays better. Ill try to post more sound files this weekend. Now to the bad. I'm not crazy about the minwax tung oil finish. I'm just not happy with the way it changed the poplar colors. Was looking for a more natural in the wood look. Made the grain on the oak lids pop nicely but didn't produce the desired effect on the poplar. Any suggestion for a better finish?

Thoms

HillclimberWV

culpeper

Plenty of turkey in that call.  Oak has very open grain and that may be some of the reason for the 'scratchyness' sound and as others have said this is a very good 1st effort, I would say you are on your way to much more fun.  Now go slay a nice gobbler with your own call this season and you'll surely be hooked on call making.

wv mossy oak

Nice job HCWV!!  Keep up the good work, I retired the end of February and want to start making some scratch box calls.  Thanks for posting your work, I listened to the sound bite, sounds very good to me.

Joe
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

justin.arps

Your boxes look and sound great! I built my wife and I A box call and got to harvest A bird with it last spring, it's pretty neat. They are ash top and bottom with cedar sides and oak ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk