OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sitka turkey vest

Started by skimerhorn, February 16, 2022, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

Quote from: Jester87 on November 29, 2022, 09:35:54 PM
There are more comfortable seats if you're planning to sit for hours at a time. But using for rng style on shorter sits and stands its perfect. Will run it again next spring. Got used to using a hose and bladder. Actually drank more water and stayed better hydrated than when I had to fuss with a bottle.

I also used the hose and bladder and completely agree with you. I actually changed to a bladder and hose for deer season this year after using it during turkey.

Tom007

I have mine coming tomorrow. I like the layout and quality. For RNG, it looks great. The box call pocket looks real long and padded, I will use it for push-pins. Can't wait to give it a go. Got it for a real good price new, so I pulled the trigger....I like the timber Camo, will blend nice in Northeast big woods.
"Solo hunter"

RiverBuck

Mine will be here tomorrow too. I went with Subalpine. That pattern in Virginia makes me disappear against the fields and foothills. I've been running the Alps Grand Slam without the kickstand. Good vest but overkill for how I hunt. The seat and water bottle holder isn't a deal breaker and what sold me was watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSfOnlg-_4

He removed the mesh on the outside pack pocket and this allows you to hold a decoy or turkey using the straps as compression straps.

Tom007

We can give a review this spring after field testing.... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Got my Sitka vest in Timber pattern. It is very well made, every facet was well thought out. Very comfortable and has a solid adjustable fit. The reason I chose this vest is the pocket layout. Has a very good pot call pocket for 2 pots and mouth diaphragms. The best feature for me is a long well padded box call pocket. Since I use pushpins, it is long enough to fit Shannon's calls, and protects them real well. The seat looks thin, but reading about it and sitting on it, it does not compress flat and is very comfortable so far. Will give a report after field trials this spring. Initial thoughts, I like the quality, layout, and seat. Be safe...
"Solo hunter"

Jester87

Quote from: RiverBuck on November 30, 2022, 08:11:06 PM
The seat and water bottle holder isn't a deal breaker and what sold me was watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSfOnlg-_4

He removed the mesh on the outside pack pocket and this allows you to hold a decoy or turkey using the straps as compression straps.

Cut the mesh, I like this idea, great mod!

Old Timer

I know this is an older thread. But I think I`m gonna pull the trigger on this one. Pricey but I can live with that if it does the job.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Old Timer on February 22, 2023, 10:41:49 AM
I know this is an older thread. But I think I`m gonna pull the trigger on this one. Pricey but I can live with that if it does the job.
Depends on what you carry and what your standards are for a vest. I sent mine back. The box call pocket let the call squeak on 3 or 4 different boxes I put in it. The magnets on the pot call pocket were pretty weak and only left the bungee string as basically the only means to hold it shut. The small side pocket is only big enough for a pair of gloves. If it was a 60$ vest, I wouldn't complain, but at 260$, it left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 22, 2023, 10:59:28 AM
Depends on what you carry and what your standards are for a vest. I sent mine back. The box call pocket let the call squeak on 3 or 4 different boxes I put in it. The magnets on the pot call pocket were pretty weak and only left the bungee string as basically the only means to hold it shut. The small side pocket is only big enough for a pair of gloves. If it was a 60$ vest, I wouldn't complain, but at 260$, it left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know it has some drawbacks but I`ll give it the once over and check it out. No like it goes back!

sasquatch1

Look on eBay for deals

There's a few there now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigdrumnc

How about using a binocular harness with the Sitka vest?  Mine fit tight in the inside pockets.

mudhen

It's fine at $199 or below, just look for sales...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Old Timer

Received vest today. Well made and the straps will slide up and down to my liking. It is comfortable fit, shoulder fit is perfect. A lot of adjustment. Minimalist for sure. Where I feel it lacks is the seat. Everything else is doable. I run and gun then sit for as long as it takes for the bird to come in and I do not know if I can do it with this seat. Jury is out. We shall see.

Tom007

Quote from: Old Timer on February 28, 2023, 05:45:28 PM
Received vest today. Well made and the straps will slide up and down to my liking. It is comfortable fit, shoulder fit is perfect. A lot of adjustment. Minimalist for sure. Where I feel it lacks is the seat. Everything else is doable. I run and gun then sit for as long as it takes for the bird to come in and I do not know if I can do it with this seat. Jury is out. We shall see.

Best of luck with it!
"Solo hunter"

Marc

I would be curious from those that purchased...  It appears to be a "run & gun" vest with no means of securring a harvested bird?

When I am "running & gunning," I am often in steep terrain and going fairly long distnaces...  Crucial to my (particular) needs is a comfortable way to secure and carry the bird out of a canyon/gorge and walking back a long ways.

Also curious as to how comfortable it is to lean against a tree with that water bladder in the back?  (Personally, I like a plastic water bottle, and compress it as I use water.  I have never been able to clean those bladders to my satisfaction (as it tastes "funny").
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.