News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sitka turkey vest

Started by skimerhorn, February 16, 2022, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

Cutt

I have some Sitka gear which is nice, but not sure of the Sitka turkey vest for my likings?

I actually like the way the Grounded vest is laid out better, which also has a better price. Only downfall, the Grounded vest runs about 2 lbs. heavier than the Sitka.

I'll have to weigh my current vest and if it's close to the Grounded I'll probably opt for it. If there's a big difference, guess I'll continue to use my current vest.

https://groundedbrand.com/products/impact-vest?variant=37612529844392

TalknTurkey

I decided to sell the RNG 200 I just bought to pick up the Sitka vest instead. Initial impressions are that it's not as minimalist as the RNG and heavier, but it actually feels lighter when wearing it packed with the same gear because it distributes the weight better.

I'm actually going to try using this vest for deer season also. I've been through several different packs for deer hunting but yet to find one that I'm happy with. But I'm thinking this vest may work out really well. Using it for both also helps me justify it after what I spent on it haha

TalknTurkey

I just now realized on my Equinox vest that the two buckles in the front are actually designed to be able to slide up and down. Although you can't get it quite to chest level where there's usually another buckle for packs, it did make the vest fit more comfortably once I moved that one up to the top and spaced them out. I just thought I would share because I believe I remember reading in this thread that some folks were disappointed by the lack of an additional chest strap.

tbowers

I cant imagine this vest is that much better then the $100 RNG 200 vest to justify paying 2.5x the price.  I'll never find out!

aaron

Quote from: tbowers on March 30, 2022, 04:59:02 PM
I cant imagine this vest is that much better then the $100 RNG 200 vest to justify paying 2.5x the price.  I'll never find out!

The quality comparison between the 2 is quite frankly not a comparison.  If it's worth the extra bank is a personal choice.  The quality of the Sitka construction is the best I've seen in a turkey vest.

Marc

Quote from: hunter85 on February 16, 2022, 10:09:26 PM
Sitka and turkey vest, I bet that thing will have a $800 price tag.

Maybe on sale.... ::)

Granted, Sitka has some gear worth paying for (rain gear topping that list for me).  But they also seem to ride their brand name with inflated prices for gear that is no better than far less expensive gear.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

aclawrence

Quote from: Jester87 on March 12, 2022, 03:32:16 AM
Been looking for something that has a better box call pocket and pot protection that my rng300 sorely lacks. Plus be lightweight and fully adjustable to a smaller frame. Sitka nailed it. I was fully prepared for a return, but the fit feels phenomenal, well balanced, and imo it's the best RNG style vest to date. It was made to cover miles in varying terrain and keep the essentials on you silent, protected and at quick reach. This is my first Sitka item but saw they have lifetime warranty and repair which is a plus considering the price. Got Timber and its easy on the eyes.

Some pics of what it can hold:

- Box pocket *silently* holds standard or fiddle styles, including long boxes with the flap open. No more lid sleeve wiping chalk off. No more hair ties and rubber bands.
- Pot pocket holds up to two 3.5" pots plus a Marlin coaxer. The mouth call sleeves are better used for conditioning pads imo.
- Striker pocket theres a Fowler, JLH and 2 Lymans.
- A Gosey crow call is in the zippered side sleeve or you could fit several more strikers or even a trumpet.
- The misc pocket fits a Cableas 8x25 or a Garmin 64 perfectly. Could hold a pushpin, locators, scratchers or shells.
- inner mesh pockets fit gloves, masks, tp, snack, chalk, tags, phone

Things I don't like:

- No bottle pocket, forced to run a bladder. Or at least add another misc pocket on the other side.
- Lame mouth call sleeves, find alternative carry
- No shell loops however the misc pocket could hold a few.

I'll reserve comments on the seat after honest use. Its dense foam, about 1.5" thick. Not meant for long sits in lush comfort. Removable, washable cover. Tucks in tight, doesnt flap or fall while on the move.

image uploader

This is very helpful to anyone who is really interested in this vest. Great job Jester87!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archivist13

Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 21, 2022, 03:38:34 PM

I'm actually going to try using this vest for deer season also. I've been through several different packs for deer hunting but yet to find one that I'm happy with. But I'm thinking this vest may work out really well. Using it for both also helps me justify it after what I spent on it haha

This is sort of what I am thinking as well. I'm debating between this Equinox and the Grounded vest and using it for both turkey and archery deer season. If I can use it for both, I really don't mind the high Sitka price tag. Two hangups for me are the lack of water bottle pockets on the Sitka, and the Grounded has a known issue with the front straps. I have also heard the Grounded is much warmer than the Sitka which plays into my decision being it can get quite warm during turkey and fall archery.

TauntoHawk

One thing with massively marked up items, they always end up on sale at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Howie g

I looked at the Sitka , it is high quality for sure . I got the old Tom gunslinger before I saw the Sitka .
The gunslinger is light , pockets are in good positions. Fits a little big on me 6'1 215 . And for sure not made as good as the Sitka . I'm very ruff on stuff . Time will tell if the gunslinger will hold up .

RiverBuck

For those that have this vest... What's your opinion on the seat?
Besides the lack of water bottle holder, Do you like it?

Archivist13

I used it for the entire spring season and absolutely loved the seat. Comfortable, easy to use and never have to worry about losing it.

Jester87

There are more comfortable seats if you're planning to sit for hours at a time. But using for rng style on shorter sits and stands its perfect. Will run it again next spring. Got used to using a hose and bladder. Actually drank more water and stayed better hydrated than when I had to fuss with a bottle.