turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sitka turkey vest

Started by skimerhorn, February 16, 2022, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I watched a bit better video by 1shotgear, its well laid out but you still pay a big price mark up for the name when compared to other functional vests options. Alot of guys are saying it's a better build RG200/300 but I paid like $70 for my RG300

Like any of the high end gear I'll watch sales when it pops up on camofire 35% off in a year or two it'll be alot more intriguing

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FL-Boss

I wouldn't wear that vest if it was given to me for free. They should stick to the big game stuff, clearly made by a western company that knows zero about turkey hunting.

Tom007

Seat looks too thin for long sits?
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 10, 2022, 12:20:17 PM
I wouldn't wear that vest if it was given to me for free. They should stick to the big game stuff, clearly made by a western company that knows zero about turkey hunting.
X2 ... you can tell it's a tight fitting harness , with hand pockets for the most part .. and does it really cost 249 dollars ?

aaron

I received mine today.  It has the best pocket layout of any vest I've ever had.  And I've had them all.  Limbhanger vest, RNG 200, alps, numerous mossy oak super elites.  This puts any of them to shame with how well thought out the pockets are.  Simple, efficient and secure.  And save the Sitka fanboy comments, this is the first Sitka item I've ever bought.

TalknTurkey

I just bought a RNG 200 and there are a couple things on the Sitka vest I see that I prefer. For one, the pots are enclosed inside a pocket. Also, I don't like how the pot calls and box call pockets are all on the same side of the RNG 200, it shifts all the weight to that one side. I also like the idea of the enclosed vertical box pocket versus the one on the RNG 200. The questions is whether these upgrades justify the $160 price diff...

Dtrkyman

I got a close out RNG 200 for $38 a few years ago, sticking with it for now.

The Sitka looks like a better version of it!

Haven't lost a pot yet but that holder worries me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzler

Quote from: aaron on March 10, 2022, 06:45:28 PM

I received mine today.  It has the best pocket layout of any vest I've ever had.  And I've had them all.  Limbhanger vest, RNG 200, alps, numerous mossy oak super elites.  This puts any of them to shame with how well thought out the pockets are.  Simple, efficient and secure.  And save the Sitka fanboy comments, this is the first Sitka item I've ever bought.
Can you give some insight about the seat?  It looks stadium seat thin.

Jester87

Been looking for something that has a better box call pocket and pot protection that my rng300 sorely lacks. Plus be lightweight and fully adjustable to a smaller frame. Sitka nailed it. I was fully prepared for a return, but the fit feels phenomenal, well balanced, and imo it's the best RNG style vest to date. It was made to cover miles in varying terrain and keep the essentials on you silent, protected and at quick reach. This is my first Sitka item but saw they have lifetime warranty and repair which is a plus considering the price. Got Timber and its easy on the eyes.

Some pics of what it can hold:

- Box pocket *silently* holds standard or fiddle styles, including long boxes with the flap open. No more lid sleeve wiping chalk off. No more hair ties and rubber bands.
- Pot pocket holds up to two 3.5" pots plus a Marlin coaxer. The mouth call sleeves are better used for conditioning pads imo.
- Striker pocket theres a Fowler, JLH and 2 Lymans.
- A Gosey crow call is in the zippered side sleeve or you could fit several more strikers or even a trumpet.
- The misc pocket fits a Cableas 8x25 or a Garmin 64 perfectly. Could hold a pushpin, locators, scratchers or shells.
- inner mesh pockets fit gloves, masks, tp, snack, chalk, tags, phone

Things I don't like:

- No bottle pocket, forced to run a bladder. Or at least they could add another misc pocket on the other side.
- Lame mouth call sleeves, find alternative carry
- No shell loops however the misc pocket could hold a few.

I'll reserve comments on the seat after honest use. Its dense foam, about 1.5" thick. Not meant for long sits in lush comfort. Removable, washable cover. Tucks in tight, doesnt flap or fall while on the move.

image uploader

aaron

Quote from: Dazzler on March 11, 2022, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: aaron on March 10, 2022, 06:45:28 PM

Can you give some insight about the seat?  It looks stadium seat thin.
It is certainly thin.   I will withhold true judgement until I'm twisted up waiting on a gobbler to close the last ten yards for a couple hours lol. 

skimerhorn

No zippers on the call pockets?

Dtrkyman

quackaddict

That box call pocket looks like it'll be right in the way for a gun stock, if you're right handed. 

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Jester87

The pocket was designed for a short box but I wanted to show it could hold a long too. Hope these photos are a better angle. No issues for me standing and raising to shoulder or from lap to shoulder while sitting.

lacire

You took some good pictures, thanks.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr