Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Input on Indian Creek .675 with Apex #9?

Started by Spark352, February 03, 2022, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark352

Looking to see if anyone has any pattern photos of an Indian Creek .675 with Apex #9. Making the switch to TSS this year and have narrowed it down to this combo. I'll be shooting a Benelli Nova 12ga 28" barrel with Apex 3" 2 1/4oz #9 loads. Not looking for a super tight pattern as I will be using just the bead. Any photos or input on .675 and #9 TSS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom007

We can't use #9 in my state, but another choke you might want to research is the Pure Gold Tempest .670. It is non-ported, I use it for Federal Heavyweight #7's. It also handles Winchester Longbeard 6's. It may give you versatility if you use loads other than the 9's. I know .670 -.675 is what is recommended for the 8's and 9's. Best of luck, post some pics....
"Solo hunter"

twyatt

I shoot a Carlson's ported .665 in my Benelli M1 with the Federal 9's.  It throws an amazing pattern.   I'd love to try a .675 or .680 just for a little more forgiveness up close, but I don't see where IC or Carlson's makes anything over a .670.   Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with Apex 9's and the IC .670.   If you find a .675 let me know. 

BandedSpur

William at Sumtoy will make you a .675. That's what I shoot in my Beretta 686 UL (same bore diameter as your Benelli). It throws super tight patterns with my 1&5/8 oz handloads of TSS 9s (345/10).

Spark352

I originally called IC about the .670. The lady working the phone suggested that I try a .675. Wasn't listed on the sight but they have a few options if you call. I figured I would start with the least constricted and work my way in if I'm not happy with the pattern. I missed a bird a few years back with Long Beard XR and have since wanted to work towards a more forgiving pattern. I'll post pictures after I pattern the gun. Might be a few weeks. I got a wild hair yesterday so now I'm waiting on a 24" barrel and a meadow creek red dot mount.

rakkin6

This is my exact setup in my 835. Apex TSS 3" #9. And an IC .675, these are my patterns from last year at 40 yards. Second photo is with Rogue 3" #9 shooting a Mossberg 535 with an Indian Creek  .665 constriction. Obviously I made some corrections with my red dot on the rogue but I guess I deleted it off my phone. 

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Roost 1

Spark352

rakkin6 - Those are some good-looking patterns. Hoping mine turn out similarly.

Roost1 - I already have the .675 on the way. If it doesn't work out ill make sure to keep .6-650 in mind. Originally when I opened this post I thought I would be running a bead sight. I have since purchased a meadow creek mount for a red dot so I may want the tighter pattern now. 

rakkin6

Quote from: Spark352 on February 07, 2022, 01:04:28 PM
rakkin6 - Those are some good-looking patterns. Hoping mine turn out similarly.

Roost1 - I already have the .675 on the way. If it doesn't work out ill make sure to keep .6-650 in mind. Originally when I opened this post I thought I would be running a bead sight. I have since purchased a meadow creek mount for a red dot so I may want the tighter pattern now.
I would suggest deep cleaning or polishing your barrel also. It will get you the most out of your gun. You are already spending a bunch of money between TSS shells, red dot and choke. Might has well get the best bang for your buck.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Spark352

Noted! I've got a brand new Carlson's 24" barrel on the way. I'll make sure I keep it clean while getting the dot sighted in and between pattern test.

rakkin6

Quote from: Spark352 on February 07, 2022, 01:34:20 PM
Noted! I've got a brand new Carlson's 24" barrel on the way. I'll make sure I keep it clean while getting the dot sighted in and between pattern test.
Disregard the polishing comment your barrel is chrome lined. Just a deep clean and you are good.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Spark352

Had the opportunity to pattern my Nova today. I shot on a dirty barrel and these were the results. With the IC .675 and #9 apex I honestly expected a more open pattern. They seem pretty tight. The patterns are 20 and 40yds.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Spark352 on February 24, 2022, 03:45:54 PM
Had the opportunity to pattern my Nova today. I shot on a dirty barrel and these were the results. With the IC .675 and #9 apex I honestly expected a more open pattern. They seem pretty tight. The patterns are 20 and 40yds.

Glad to see that you went from not so hot to now having a stone cold killer pattern. Good thing you have went to a red dot, and even then that 15-20 yard shot you better be pulled down tight on the gun when you squeeze off a shot that close. Anyway, those latest are some real good looking patterns.

I'm fixing to order an additional barrel for one of my twelves and am planning on getting the Carlson 24" vent ribbed barrel as well. My gun is an 870 12 gauge. I saw that you got one for your Benelli, but I assume that your Carlson fit up on the gun with no issues. Hopefully it did so - as Carlson usually makes a pretty good barrel. Thanks for sharing - You are definitely good to go.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13