OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clean a new choke?

Started by RiverRoost, March 02, 2022, 11:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Just got an IC in the mail for my 870 20ga and was curious if I should clean the choke before I test out the pattern.

rakkin6

I clean my chokes like I clean my gun so I say yeah it couldn't hurt. Just use whatever solvent you use and wet it. Use a soft bristled toothbrush on it then q tips and a patch clean and dry it off.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lowoctane

:morning:
Yes sir. Had a discussion about cleaning chokes recently so I emailed IC and they recommend cleaning their chokes after 5 rounds... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

rakkin6

When I am patterning I run my bore snake after each shot. So I do a really good clean on them before patterning and then let the bore snake do it during my patterning session.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Ridge Rooster

I use a short cleaning rod with a bronze brush of what ever size gauge and carb/brake cleaner. I remove choke and spray with carb cleaner and vigorously scrub inside. Then let cleaner evaporate and reinstall. It seems to work for me and the carb/brake cleaner really strips the plastic out. I run a bore snake thru gun after every round when sighting in and usually scrub the choke as mentioned above after no more than 5 rounds.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Ihuntoldschool

Clean only if it arrived dirty (unlikely).  All of the new chokes I ever purchased arrived clean and ready to go.

bbcoach

Indian Creek chokes will collect a lot of plastic residue in the slits.  Brake cleaner and a tooth brush will solve that problem though.