OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for 1st Trumpet.....Who?

Started by RED NECK, January 16, 2022, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

The 4 calls I purchased shipped today, I should have them in just a few days as I purchased from a Canadian custom call builder. Thanks for all the help, I will post some pictures when they arrive and keep posting up your calls as I'll be collectimng them going forward, i already have a handful of others I seen that I want but for now I am done buying.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

jordanz7935

So you bought 4 of the same style trumpets, with the same style mouthpiece, from the same maker? Hate to tell ya, but your probably gonna end up with 4 trumpets that sound the same... they should anyways if hes a good builder.... I tell ya what though, if your as persistant about practicing on that trumpet as you are about posting here about what gun or vest your gonna buy next, you'll sound like Zac Farmer in no time! Good luck and practice, practice, practice! To echo what others have already advised, start with one good trumpet, get good to where you are confident with it in the woods, and go from there. Sounds like that ship has set sail though.

RED NECK

Thanks. ....I love all aspects of turkeys,huntin' them,killin' them,getting them mounted,calling them in for others,collecting guns,lots of em' too,calls,chokes,spending a ton on ammo' and vests and most of eating it in all different types of recipes and posting about it all.....I just hope to get another 27 years doing it at least. :jackson:

RED NECK

Oh, and the Will Primos is probably going to be the next vest, just a heads up for the "time for a new vest" thread...check it out.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,81138.0.html

What a great day to have some fun and read about some new calls, trumpets and pot calls on the agenda this afternoon. I hope you all are staying warm and enjoying 2022, I know I am having an outstanding 2022.

RED NECK

As for the 4 calls being the same,I bought 4 because I found out the gentleman is actually a neighbour to my personal property I have owned for 22 years,in fact just down the road about 2 minutes and we have always wondered who owned the land off the long driveway,It is only neighbour we have never met.

His brother owns it and lives in a town close by, and the call builder lives an hour away and hunts there.
Small world and I liked the look of the 4 calls I bought, they are all different wood and do not look the same. I am more than happy with the calls I decided to buy, If they sound no good, they will be a great ornament hanging off the wall and I'll be buying more in the near future.

I plan on giving 1-2 away as a gift,and practicing with one of them.I have until April 25th to get decent with one and if I don't, oh well, i'll just use mouthcalls like I usually have lately.

I love winter time as my work brings me inside and I can work from basement and enjoy my love of everything Wild turkey, after a long gruelling bow season. Isn't it a great time to be alive and enjoying the wild turkey and all the benefits that come with that great tradition.

The greatest thing in life is having your health and your loves ones having theirs, my life has changed so much in the last 10 months that I will never let anything deter me in enjoying my obsession,passion and love for the outdoors, until I take my last breath.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 20, 2022, 12:33:36 PM
As for the 4 calls being the same,I bought 4 because I found out the gentleman is actually a neighbour to my personal property I have owned for 22 years,in fact just down the road about 2 minutes and we have always wondered who owned the land off the long driveway,It is only neighbour we have never met.

His brother owns it and lives in a town close by, and the call builder lives an hour away and hunts there.
Small world and I liked the look of the 4 calls I bought, they are all different wood and do not look the same. I am more than happy with the calls I decided to buy, If they sound no good, they will be a great ornament hanging off the wall and I'll be buying more in the near future.

I plan on giving 1-2 away as a gift,and practicing with one of them.I have until April 25th to get decent with one and if I don't, oh well, i'll just use mouthcalls like I usually have lately.

I love winter time as my work brings me inside and I can work from basement and enjoy my love of everything Wild turkey, after a long gruelling bow season. Isn't it a great time to be alive and enjoying the wild turkey and all the benefits that come with that great tradition.

The greatest thing in life is having your health and your loves ones having theirs, my life has changed so much in the last 10 months that I will never let anything deter me in enjoying my obsession,passion and love for the outdoors, until I take my last breath.
When you get them post a picture and the callmaker. I'd love to see them. That's a cool connection for sure. Hope they're fine tuned killers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I will post them up when they arrive, the guy was recommended to me by a fellow member on Og from South or North Carolina, I had never even heard of them, or remember them being at shows I have attended,but he is a stand up guy and seems to have great reviews. I can't say enough about the way he treated me and the conversation we had. They will make a great gift as well. There are so many beautiful calls being made from lots of great call makers these days.

RED NECK

The calls just arrived, 1 day shipping.I'll get some pictures up later today or this evening. :jackson:

crow

The whole key to a good trumpet or any suction yelper is what is referred to as the internals, which is the differing sizes of holes, or the tapering of the hole going thru it.
The outside is nice to look at but the inside design is where it's at , along with several other things.

IMO the internals are the majority of what is going to affect how it drawls air, it's tone and ease of play.
Especially when learning, you don't want to handicap yourself and make it harder with a bad internal design.

The names mentioned on your thread are call makers who have a proven track record of a design that draws air easy and have great playability for a large number of people. A well designed yelper will shorten the learning curve.

RED NECK

Here are the calls,Left-Right.

Big Foot Zebrawood Maple Cocobolo Walnut

Ash Walnut

Cherry

Cherry Walnut Maple Paduk Ash

I do understand the look of the calls is secondary and I have spoken with a few awesome call builders and I will be ordering from them too, this man is not a younger man and has been awesome as well, so he earned my business this time.

ChesterCopperpot

Like the way the cherry and that mixed laminate on the far right look. It looks to me like his mouthpieces are all about the same length, as do the throats (kind of looks like the throats could differ some in length and if so that'll definitely change sound between them). But he's obviously played with lengths a good bit on the barrels which should definitely give you some different sounds. As a general rule, shorter calls tend to play faster, snappier. Would be interested to hear if the mouthpiece holes all look the same diameter, or if any are slightly larger, and would love to see a shot straight on at all four to try and see if he's altered the bells on them (I'd kind of assume given the lengths and shapes, he might have). You'll have to let us know how they sound. Out of curiosity, did he play them for you over the phone? Haven't seen that maker before but they look cool. Congrats!

RED NECK

The call to the farthest right in the first picture was the one I wanted the most when I looked at all his stuff. I am not sure exactly what you are meaning about the calls, as I admit, I am still a newbie when It comes to trumpets and I never have stated anything different, but here are pictures. And as soon as I start practicing later,I'll let you know If I can make any decent sounds, I plan on watching some of the videos and learning at the same time.

RED NECK

Can only post a small pic at a time on forum.

ChesterCopperpot

He's doing a lot of different things internally between them calls. Posted like that it sure seems like the mouthpieces are different lengths too. What do the holes drilled in the mouthpieces look like? All the same size? And judging by those bells I'd say that ash/walnut might be the easier call for you to learn on. In my experience more open bell designs are a harder call to start on due to building and maintaining back pressure. I'd start with the ash/walnut or the cherry.

RED NECK

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 20, 2022, 04:38:16 PM
He's doing a lot of different things internally between them calls. Posted like that it sure seems like the mouthpieces are different lengths too. What do the holes drilled in the mouthpieces look like? All the same size? And judging by those bells I'd say that ash/walnut might be the easier call for you to learn on. In my experience more open bell designs are a harder call to start on due to building and maintaining back pressure. I'd start with the ash/walnut or the cherry.

They look the same size too me and when I was looking at calls, I seen some that looked "thinner" mouthpiece where you put your lips. I sent him an email Thanking him, and asking which one he would learn on, he sent me a written letter in with the calls to email, or call him anytime for advice and if I wanted help learning on a trumpet.

The man went out of his way for me and sent a scratch call , as a gift. I already ran it and I love the sound of it, I have 2 others I have bought in the past but I havent used them in years. This man is a class act, from my experiences so far.

I will be buying a box call and a pot call from him as well here shortly as gifts for my fathers 66th birthday in February.