OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

That’ll make ‘em gobble…

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 16, 2022, 08:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctrize

I was sitting on state land on a roosted bird well before light. Every time a truck came down the road where it was wash boarded those trucks would rattle and he would sound off. Every one of those trucks stopped on the drainage we were set up on, exited their truck then called with various locator calls. That bird never answered a one.

Jim K

Where I hunt at home we have to cross a wooden bridge to our house. The next bridge down stream had loose boards on top. Whenever the residents would drive across it, it sounded like a machine gun.

When I'd be hunting and hear the bridge, I would immediately freeze and listen. The turkeys really gobbled at it. They unfortunately fixed their bridge and I lost a good locator call. Lol

chadly

A few years ago I was crow hunting using an electric caller.  4 toms raced accrss a field to my caller that screaming a crow fight.  They were 30 yards away gobbling like mad at the caller.  I tried to switch the caller to a racoon fight but put in coyote howl by accident.  They kept right on gobbling.  I came back a month later in the youth season with my son and smacked a bird right there.  Not sure if it was on of those or not. 

catman529

Last year had em gobble at a rooster, donkey, Jake brake, can't remember what else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleNut

Some of the stories here remind me of one incident that has gotten me some level of notoriety amongst my hunting partners.  It is a tale that gets told a few times each spring to all who will listen as a reminder of my superior abilities in pursuit of the wily gobbler.

As it were, two friends and I ventured over to Texas several years ago to a farm we had access to hunt.  There were LOTS of turkeys on this property and they all roosted in the same specific group of trees next to a big open pasture.  The evening before our hunt, we watched roughly 75 hens, and somewhere in the neighborhood of FIFTY mature toms, as well as a passel of jakes, filter into the roost from different directions across this pasture. (Did I mention there were LOTS of turkeys on the place?!)

Being the self-proclaimed leader of our little entourage, I told the other two,.."Here's the plan.  We are gonna sneak in there an hour before daylight very quietly and set up between the roost and the pasture in the dark.  We gotta be totally quiet...not make a sound.  I'll lead the way with you two right behind me.  WE GOTTA BE COMPLETELY QUIET!  You can't snap branches or let your guns rattle around OR ANYTHING!  NO NOISE...NOTHIN'!"

So, the next morning I am leading our little group in single file along the brush line at the edge of the pasture, demonstrating to my two companions how to sneak stealthily and quietly into the set-up, and occasionally glancing back to make sure they were dutifully following my lead.  As we neared the chosen set-up location...about fifty yards from the nearest turkeys...we had not raised a putt from a single bird.  I was pretty confident I had succeeded in demonstrating my unsurpassed abilities of stealth in approaching roosted turkeys. 

Unfortunately, in the dark I did not notice the barbed-wire strand stretched about ankle-high a few yards from our set-up.  As I stepped forward in one of the last few steps to our set, the strand caught my foot and I ingloriously proceeded to fall flat on my face with a resounding thud and a loud groan as all the air in my lungs exploded outward...in general, my descent to the ground sounding somewhat like a 747 landing. 

Immediately, the woods behind us erupted in turkeys gobbling, putting, and every other sound of instant alarm turkeys have been known to make.  My buddies could not control the laughter they tried to stifle as their fearless leader lay wallowing in a heap on the ground. 

....As I said before, that little story gets brought up a lot around these parts when someone starts extolling my skills and virtues as a turkey hunter!   I always tell them I was just demonstrating a unique and unorthodox method of verifying roost locations. ;D :toothy9:

Happy

I call bs on some of this..There is no way you have friends that would promote you to leadership status. The rest i find believable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on January 21, 2022, 09:50:41 AM
I call bs on some of this..There is no way you have friends that would promote you to leadership status. The rest i find believable.

Yeah,...it took me a few decades to find a couple of guys who were gullible enough to let me be "the leader" in these situations.  They are gradually wising up, though.  I don't know what I am gonna do after that!  Of course, "leadership" is a relative term.  What some call leadership, others might refer to as "the blind leading the blind".   ;D

Happy

I have always said if I am the voice of logic and reason then we are in deep chit!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

vt35mag

deerhunt1988

Quote from: 5arraquiver on January 16, 2022, 10:23:19 AM
One of the greatest mornings I've had outdoors was a beautiful morning in the mountains. Every time the bull elk would bugle the Tom's would Gobble.

Man, how'd I forget about that one! While quartering up my first elk, a gobbler let one loose right at dark on the ridge above me.. A morning or two before one was responding to the bugles.

Last March while working in the woods, i got way ahead of a co-worker looking for a specific spot. I hollered "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYY" to let him know where I was, and gobbler fired off within 100 yards of me.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: chadly on January 20, 2022, 07:35:20 PM
A few years ago I was crow hunting using an electric caller.  4 toms raced accrss a field to my caller that screaming a crow fight.  They were 30 yards away gobbling like mad at the caller.  I tried to switch the caller to a racoon fight but put in coyote howl by accident.  They kept right on gobbling.

Thats one of my favorite ones so far, would have loved to saw that.

Tail Feathers

I stepped off a logging road into some dry leaves and immediately drew a gobble.  That wasn't particularly surprising, but the fact I moved off the road to let a logging skidder pass me made the gobbling a bit unusual.
Three minutes later that bird died of lead poisoning.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Crghss

Was working a ridge calling for a gobbler with no success. I sit down on log to take a break and I hear the beep, beep, beep as a school bus backs up. Then I hear a gobble.

I tried to call to him but never heard another peep.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Yoder409

Used to hunt some big mountain ridges in central PA (think Penn State University area) 40+ years ago.  There was......somewhere, off in the distance........a bridge that the tri-axle coal trucks would go across when they were empty.  Apparently, the bump going on to the bridge made the big aluminum dump beds bounce and slam.  Fired every bird up in the country.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkeyhunter91

one of my favorite times of making a bird gobble was when we was working on a house and had to put some vinyl siding on. everytime we would hit with the hammer he would gobble. of course it was only a week or so before season so i was shook up listening to him and maybe missed a few times on purpose just to hear him gobble haha.