turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drumming on the Roost

Started by Ranman, March 21, 2022, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranman

My buddy and I were hunting a new lease this weekend, and slipped into an area I suspected the turkeys were rooting. Well, I slipped up the main gravel road towards the big timbered area and stopped to make daylight and listen. I wasn't there 5 minutes, and one gobbled about 50yrds into the woods. There was nothing I could do but ease back off the road and sit. Once it lightened up, there were 4 gobblers right there, gobbling their heads off. I also heard drumming while they were on the roost. I had never witnessed this before. Just my luck, there were also about 10-12 hens with them. It was a show right in front of us. No shots fired, but still a great morning. Was I hearing things, or do they actually drum on the roost?
Randy

guesswho

Yes they drum on the roost. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ThunderChickenGetter

There's been a handful of times that i have heard them drumming on the roost before daylight. One instance two years ago, i thought a bird was roosted 100 yards or so further down a ridge, we stopped where we thought we wanted to set up in pitch black only to hear drumming above our heads. I made out the turkey silhouette in the moon and backed up about 75 yards and he gobbles about 10 minutes later. He flew down and walked right down my friends gun a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treerooster

They drum, strut and will walk back and forth on the limb sometimes while doing both.

dublelung

Yes they definitely drum while on the roost!

thwack16

Yes, they drum on the roost. Some of my best hunts have been those where I was slipping into a suspected roost before gobbling light and have drumming give the bird away prior to him gobbling.

Turkeyman

The first bird I killed last season never gobbled...all he did was drum on the roost. There were three or four gobblers in the area which did gobble, but not him. I hunted him for several days before killing him...never heard him gobble once. Plus when he flew down all he did was follow the hens...drumming. BTW that's absolutely my favorite turkey sound. I'm fortunate that I can hear it well...I know several hunters that either can't hear drumming or don't know what they're listening for.

jmart241

They often times drum before gobbling

PALongspur

There's nothing like hearing that in the dark and knowing you're in the right spot!

Jroddc

Quote from: Treerooster on March 21, 2022, 01:29:50 PM
They drum, strut and will walk back and forth on the limb sometimes while doing both.
I've also witnessed this a couple times

catman529

I've had birds drum before daylight before they even started gobbling. Usually it's when I roosted a bird the night before so I'm extra close to them and hear em drum before they start talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Treerooster

Quote from: catman529 on March 22, 2022, 07:52:55 PM
I've had birds drum before daylight before they even started gobbling. Usually it's when I roosted a bird the night before so I'm extra close to them and hear em drum before they start talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the first things a gobbler does when he wakes up is puff up in a half to full strut. Most times they puff up quite a few times before they ever gobble. I can't always hear it, but I pretty sure they are drumming while they puff up. If there is room enough on the limb they will strut back and forth on it as I said before. I guess it's breeding season and they just can't wait to get the day started.

birdman24

Being close enough to watch them strut back and forth on the limb is pretty dang cool. They spit and drum just like on the ground. Watched 4 do it in the Black Hills with my son when he was about 14. Hens flew down and walked right between us (we were only about 10 yards apart). The toms skirted us and we never got a shot. But it was a hell of a morning.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: Ranman on March 21, 2022, 08:24:18 AM
My buddy and I were hunting a new lease this weekend, and slipped into an area I suspected the turkeys were rooting. Well, I slipped up the main gravel road towards the big timbered area and stopped to make daylight and listen. I wasn't there 5 minutes, and one gobbled about 50yrds into the woods. There was nothing I could do but ease back off the road and sit. Once it lightened up, there were 4 gobblers right there, gobbling their heads off. I also heard drumming while they were on the roost. I had never witnessed this before. Just my luck, there were also about 10-12 hens with them. It was a show right in front of us. No shots fired, but still a great morning. Was I hearing things, or do they actually drum on the roost?
Randy
yes they absolutely drum on the roost. Gobblers will strut on a limb man..... I watched one just last week drum for 20 minutes on the limb one evening. Similar situation to yours , bout 40 yards from him. Easy target I must say ... but no I didn't do it. He never gobbled , came back the next morning. Drumming only on the limb. And he pitched out the opposite direction never to be seen again.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."