turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Magazines/Publications

Started by Tom007, March 23, 2022, 05:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Years ago, I enjoyed reading Turkey Call Magazine and Turkey&Turkey Hunting. The later got so thin with info and only came out a few times a year, I stopped getting it. There really isn't an abundance of quality Turkey Magazines out there, would love to hear if any of you know of some I may be overlooking. I know it's a stretch, but wouldn't it be great if there was an "Old Gobbler" magazine published for Turkey Hunters. Lord knows there is a wealth of the best knowledge on this site, so content would not be an issue. The forum does act as this publication machine, but an Old Gobbler Magazine I think would be cool and would probably do very well. Be safe, good luck this spring....
"Solo hunter"

b wilt

TonyTurk

I have a large stack of old Turkey & Turkey Hunting mags in a drawer.  Still enjoy pulling them out and reading them on occasion.

But I mostly come here for info.  The knowledge and tips I have gained from you guys/gals on this Forum has been invaluable.  This site has made me a better hunter for sure.  Can't thank Shannon enough for this site.

I agree, an OG magazine would be extremely cool.  Older guys like me would definitely buy it, not sure if the younger crowd would. 

quavers59

I must have hundred total of Turkey Call,Turkey+ Turkey Hunting,AMERICAN WILD TURKEY NEWS,Etc. I have the very 1st issue of Turkey + Turkey Hunting from Spring of 1991.  Might be worth a few Quarters today.

PaLmbHngr

They still publish Turkey and Turkey Hunting but now only once a year. I just received my copy I ordered from the publishers web site.

Greg Massey

Great idea, those old magazines back in the day were invaluable in learning about turkeys and turkey hunting.  Old Gobbler magazine or event a book would be awesome. But i agree with one of the other posts the older crowd would probably only buy it...

GobbleGitr

Big fan of the literature-including the old magazines.  They are full of great stories and personalities, and certainly less propaganda and filler than today's magazines.  I just wrote an article that covers the history of turkey literature (alongside the history of turkey hunting), and it includes a list and some info on all the old turkey magazines and newsletters. On the Mossy Oak Turkey website:
https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/turkey/turkey-hunting-history-and-literature

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

I'd say I have a huge collection of Turkey mags. Got Turkey Call, Turkey and Turkey Hunting, lots of special issues and some publication from American Wild Turkey Society.  Dating back in to the 70s. I never toss out anything Turkey related. Wife hates the fact I keep them but I got them in storage totes so far im winning this deal. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Herb McClure

GobblerGitr

As an old timer, (65 seasons) in the turkey woods of the North Georgia's remotest mountains, my hat is off to you, for your article's great researching of the Wild Turkey and the turkey men evolved in the wild turkey's history and publications. Yes, I do collate personally, with all you have written since the mid-fifties to date.
Thanks for this story.
Herb McClure