turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 1187 12 Gauge SPS-T 3" 21"

Started by RED NECK, January 05, 2022, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I missed out on a Rem 1187 NWTF 23" 3.5" Monte carlo stock,rifled sight model in Mossy oak break up from 2005 last week for a great price too. By time I seen it, It was just sold within an hour.  I would have loved that gun in my collection.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Tom007

Wow, you come across great guns, your lucky.....
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

I have to be realistic, I have never seen any of the other guns from 1991-1996 Remington turkey guns anywhere up here, or online but I sure would love to find more 1991-2007 model Remingtons, I am about tapped out for buying other turkey guns other than a semi .410.

I put a bid in on 2 other rem chokes this morning, a .665 Indian creek and a .665 patternmaster code black. If I get them, I will give him choice of one and keep other one.

I am just glad most are too lazy to get up at 3am to turkey hunt up here, It really is not popular other than a select few, and even then they do it for a few days and then get sick of it. I would turkey hunt 365 days a year if legal, just to listen to them and see them and of course fire the gun a few times a year so I can have turkey poppers.

I bow hunt for 5 months a year for bear and whitetail,sometimes moose, and turkey hunt for 5 weeks, and a bit in the fall and most "bow" hunters are using crossbows, I am not against them, but It ain't bow hunting, it is hunting.  The day of the rifle banger is long gone up here, not a lot of gangs, or hunters, It is just different from when I was a kid. I am a bow hunter, so I like being alone. I also hunt private, but even our public land has nobody on it, I cut my teeth as a kid on it. I still hit it up 1-2 a year for deer or turkey, just because nobody is around.

RED NECK

I just bought the patternmaster, for 1/2 of what it would be if I bought it new,which is a ridicolous price up here, I think they are overpriced and overated but I'll test it.

RED NECK

This gun shoots a little to the right with bead and poa, with a few chokes,like my other rem 1187,not a lot but enough that I added rifle sights. I shot the .650 primos jellyhead tss choke, I have shot that choke with 4 different guns and 5-6 types of different ammo, I am going out and saying, I hate that choke, It's been garbage in all of my guns, It's a piece of ...imo.. I then switched to the original jellyhead,which usually shoots amazing but I was not overly impressed with it at 40 yards shooting longbeard 3" #6's or Hevi shot mag blend, I then screwed in my longbeard xr choke, and shot tss #7 and longbeard #6's in 3" at 40 yards, and a little further.

The longbeards are a superior pattern for me, the tss shoots good but not $90 dollars a box good, the longbeard 3" #6's pattern better and will be what I shoot from the gun. I kept a few of my targets, I need to shoot one more shell of longbeard #6 because I had to adjust the rifle sights and I over adjusted on last shot and was in a rush and had to go. I am going back next weekend with my 20 gauges and I'll double check this gun, but I am sticking with longbeards in 12 gauge until I can shoot tss #9's, Its a waste of money in #7's in every gun and choke I have shot it in.

I'll try and post a pic or 2 up sometime this weekend, or next week. I am busy and don't have time tonight to upload. I am happy with the gun. If I was to nit pick at all, It's that I am not overly impressed with tss #7's or hevi shot in 12 gauges, I'll be sticking with longbeards, I patterned 4 12 gauges today and the longbeards in 3-3.5" #6's patterned better than anything else I have, I knew it would, I need to just realize that I am happy and keep my money in my pocket. I was never really on the 12 gauge tss train, but I am now completely off and won't buy any tss #7's again, but I test the 9's for sure.

Tom007

Good luck, looking forward to your pattern pics......
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

I received my .660 patternmaster and had to adjust my rifle sights back ,as this choke did not shoot to the right at all, It shot to the left a tad with fiber optics adjusted to left, I fired a few shells at 40 yards without adjusting,and I patterned at 50-and 60, to see which shell held up. I am not going to post my targets as Shannon does not want them,so I'll follow his lead. But I patterned 3" Tss #7 Federals, Hevi #6, Hevi Mag Blend and Longbeard #6's.

The Hevi #6's patterned out to 40 yards,I didn't shoot them at any further distance, the mag blends were superior out to further distance, and the longbeards were even better. The Federal Tss #7's are good to 40 yards,I wasn't impressed again with them at further distance,they didn't hold as good a pattern as the mag blends or longbeards.

I'll be using long beard,hevi #6's or mag blends and honestly out to what I'd shoot a turkey at, all 3 are awesome, I am really impressed with the patternmaster .660 choke. I'll keep it in gun.

I took pictures of all my targets, the shells that impressed me the most with this choke were the mag blends, I have always been happy with longbeards.

I was really shocked at how much straighter this choke shot every shell than the other chokes I tested last week,with this choke, the gun shoots bead,poa. I still kept my fiber optics on as I like the peep sights for turkey hunting.

RED NECK

I found one at 40 yards, remember this is before I adjusted my fiber optics back, they were setup for the previous choke. This is a rangefinded 40 yards with 12 gauge 3" hevi mag blends with the patternmaster code black turkey .660.

I will never be a pellet counter, I could not be bothered to count them. It just is not something I enjoy, and have yet to need to do it.