turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Side x Side Shotguns

Started by Greg Massey, January 31, 2022, 03:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Who still hunts or carries one of these old style double barrel shotguns turkey hunting? My wife inherited 2 double barrel shotguns one Spain made 12 ga 3 inch mag with 26 inch barrels and one double barrel 410 .. I'm having new recoil pad put on the old Spain made 12 ga. one and plan on carrying it on few hunts this spring. If you have one post some pictures of the old side x side double barrel..

crow

I mostly turkey hunt and hunt in general with sxs's, I also turkey hunt a 20ga single shot fairly often.
a CZ 20ga with tss or tss/lead and a couple of old 12gauges with lower pressure lead loads I reload for.

I started with single shots and once I was big enough an old Fox Sterlingworth was the first repeating gun I hunted with. Have always liked doubles and old guns.

How is the Spanish 12 ga choked, you might get lucky with it being a 3"gun that it was regulated for 1.5oz loads, which would be nice for turkeys. ( but not necessarily modern 3" magnum loads)

Greg Massey

I was thinking about trying some 2 3/4 , 1 1/4 pheasant loads in the gun ...

Greg Massey

Quote from: crow on January 31, 2022, 09:32:15 PM
I mostly turkey hunt and hunt in general with sxs's, I also turkey hunt a 20ga single shot fairly often.
a CZ 20ga with tss or tss/lead and a couple of old 12gauges with lower pressure lead loads I reload for.

I started with single shots and once I was big enough an old Fox Sterlingworth was the first repeating gun I hunted with. Have always liked doubles and old guns.

How is the Spanish 12 ga choked, you might get lucky with it being a 3"gun that it was regulated for 1.5oz loads, which would be nice for turkeys. ( but not necessarily modern 3" magnum loads)
PM Sent

crow

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 31, 2022, 10:15:49 PM
I was thinking about trying some 2 3/4 , 1 1/4 pheasant loads in the gun ...

I'm not sure on Spanish guns, English 3" guns are generally 1.5 oz guns, but English loads are lower pressure than ours. Some people are comfortable shooting American non magnum 2.75 loads in 3" English guns

gergg

My SxS is a mid 1970's Merkel with F/XF chokes, I am using 1 1/4 oz lead loads in it, just fine for turkeys at reasonable distances.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Greg Massey

Quote from: gergg on February 10, 2022, 07:20:19 PM
My SxS is a mid 1970's Merkel with F/XF chokes, I am using 1 1/4 oz lead loads in it, just fine for turkeys at reasonable distances.
Mine is about the same age .. i had gunsmith replace the old red recoil pad with new one and had him check it all out and he said i wouldn't have a problem shooting the same loads , this gun is 3 inch mag anyway ... with 26 inch barrels ...