OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mentors

Started by culpeper, September 02, 2021, 03:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

Are there more mentors in Pot, Box, wingbone or trumpet call builders?  I know that isn't all of the call types, but probably the most popular aside from mouth calls.  If there are more mentors in one call type, why do you think that is so?  I remember when I started there were 2 people who were willing to listen to me and provide some guidance, but on the other hand many turned away and offered no help.  I had a good handle on the fundamentals and confident on where I needed to be, but they were helpful with certain details which were valuable.  In turn I have mentored 2 call builders with box calls.  I would love to do more, I enjoy it a lot, but folks don't reach out much.  It's also not so easy since most of us are all spread out across the US.

Yelper

Based on what I have witness over the past 20 years, I think that box call builders are more open to sharing there time and knowledge with people who are willing to take the time to listen and learn from them. I could name several but will leave the names out.

Sir-diealot

I have only done a few kit calls but was given plenty of advise on them. I have yet to finish my wingbone but have gotten a lot of help and guidance with that as well so I would say the answer to your question is yes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: culpeper on September 02, 2021, 03:13:58 PM
Are there more mentors in Pot, Box, wingbone or trumpet call builders?  I know that isn't all of the call types, but probably the most popular aside from mouth calls.  If there are more mentors in one call type, why do you think that is so?  I remember when I started there were 2 people who were willing to listen to me and provide some guidance, but on the other hand many turned away and offered no help.  I had a good handle on the fundamentals and confident on where I needed to be, but they were helpful with certain details which were valuable.  In turn I have mentored 2 call builders with box calls.  I would love to do more, I enjoy it a lot, but folks don't reach out much.  It's also not so easy since most of us are all spread out across the US.
I really don't have a answer to your question, i can say everyone that i have dealt with in the call building world have been more than helpful in building me a quality call. All have been very friendly and great to work with in purchasing calls.. I'm looking in from the customer side of your question.