turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to fix a box call with a squeaky spring

Started by HFultzjr, February 05, 2021, 08:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Looking for advice on how to fix a squeaky spring on a box call.
Barely noticeable, but just bugs me.
Tried various screw turn adjustment.
Got it to where it sounds very good, except for the dang squeak.
:thanks:

Sir-diealot

I have one that is doing the same, I have to send it back to the call maker. I keep forgetting to, he told me to months ago. I would contact the call maker and see if they will fix it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

HFultzjr

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 06, 2021, 04:38:17 PM
I have one that is doing the same, I have to send it back to the call maker. I keep forgetting to, he told me to months ago. I would contact the call maker and see if they will fix it.

It's an older call of unknown brand, but it sounds really good except for this.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HFultzjr on February 07, 2021, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 06, 2021, 04:38:17 PM

It's an older call of unknown brand, but it sounds really good except for this.
I had read something about putting sawdust into the spring hole to quiet it, never tried it though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

gergg

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

HFultzjr

I'll try the above.
Anyone know if it the spring making the noise or the spring/wood contact points?
I guess by doing the above, I'll answer my own question........lol
Thanks everyone.

ferocious calls

Gog1015

Try a little graphite around the spring and screw.

bear hunter

Albert Paul told me you can back the screw out and put box call chalk in there and it usually fixes the problem.

lacire

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

Get you small tube of the Carmex lip Balm .. put you little on a toothpick and put it under lid screw and little on the spring between the box .. that will solve your problems ... That Carmex lip Balm is awesome for stopping those squeaky springs .. you can thank me later ...

ferocious calls

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 13, 2022, 11:12:27 PM
Get you small tube of the Carmex lip Balm .. put you little on a toothpick and put it under lid screw and little on the spring between the box .. that will solve your problems ... That Carmex lip Balm is awesome for stopping those squeaky springs .. you can thank me later ...

Thank you