turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga. choke diameters for #7.5 TSS

Started by mcw3734, December 11, 2021, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Just purchased a Rem. 11-87 20 gauge and now in the process of finding the right choke. Looking through these 20 gauge threads, the majority of folks seem to shoot #9 TSS. Which is understandable. However, I plan to use Apex 3" #7.5.

The only TSS experimenting I've ever done is on my 10 gauge (documented on this site's 10 gauge page). What I learned is that just 0.020" in diameter can be the difference between OK and awesome. And it was actually the more open choke that produced the much better results. I'm guessing it would be the same for the 20 gauge.

For those shooting #7.5 (or #7) and have done the testing, what diameters did you find give the best even and consistent patters? I plan on buying 2 or maybe 3 Trulock chokes to test out, but sure would appreciate hearing from others experience.

Thank you!

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Ranman

Great patterns with HS Undertaker .582, Sumtoy.570, Carlson.575, or Remington SF .572

Unfortunately all barrels, even from the same manufacturer, do not shoot the same. Just have to shoot them to see...

SumToy

Quote from: Ranman on December 19, 2021, 08:54:45 AM
Great patterns with HS Undertaker .582, Sumtoy.570, Carlson.575, or Remington SF .572

Unfortunately all barrels, even from the same manufacturer, do not shoot the same. Just have to shoot them to see...

Very True.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

GregN

HI - just circling back to see how you made out as I am restricted to using 7.5 shot by game code.  What is the general rule of thumb - should choke diameter increase as shot size gets larger?

Thanks,
Greg

bobcat19

Also interested in hearing ideal choke constriction for larger TSS shot sizes.

Dtrkyman

I didn't count any targets but I loaded some 7.5s for Iowa this year.  Indian Creek .555, pattern was really good but it did pattern higher than my 9s for some reason?

I just aimed base of the neck instead of messing with sights.

Hammered one at 40 ish yards, looked like he was struck by lightning!

Weird thing is it was still dead on at 20 like the 9s!