OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crazy ...ammunition gone !

Started by Old Gobbler, April 08, 2021, 04:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Gun broker has a lot of ammo and reloading supplies. However you will pay through the nose.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 08, 2021, 07:51:40 PM
Last time I looked you can still find about any ammo you're looking for on Gunbroker. You will pay a premium for it though. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Beat me to it. LOL

Kylongspur88

Don't even have dove loads on the shelf here. I've got boxes of turkey shells that didn't pattern for me which I'll give to some friends this spring who can't find shells.

jshark14

Nothing available here in SW Georgia for the past several months. Certainly no rifle or pistol ammo. Occasionally there are 16 ga and 28 ga shotgun shells available, but very little else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Got lucky and found some turkey loads at wally world in GA while down there. They had 5 boxes stuffed in the back of the shelf below some hunting clothes. Picked up 2. I only had 2 shells left at this point. Had been looking for about a month before the trip.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

btomlin

I've been finding a few "here and there" in my work travels, but I haven't found what I want.  I've found Winny grays, DoubleX, Rem Nitro, and B&P.  Some of you must have freight containers full of Longbeards.  Those things are like Bigfoot...you hear about them but you can never see them. .  :)

Muzzy61

It's crazy.  I'm good for now on 12 gauge ammo, but was seriously looking to buy a 20 gauge but not till I feel comfortable I can get ammo for it.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mtns2hunt

I'm seeing some Turkey loads in various stores. Lot of mixed brands that have been picked over. I feel that with the current political situation this could be a longer dry period then experienced before. Hopefully Remington or whomever has taken them over will start producing agian.

Share the bounty as we are all in this together and remember to vote next election. I have to wonder: do democrats own guns and ammo? Are they affected by the shortage? Do they care? Seems to me they could care less about their rights being legislated away.

g8rvet

Our local Academy and a local gun range and store a buddy of mine owns in Tallahassee (Talon Range) are limiting ammo purchases when they get them in (the range only allows members or range customers).  Neither are price gouging.  I will buy all my ammo in the future from one of those 2 (if this ever ends).  I will not buy it from any of the outfits that are marking it up just because they can. 

I bought 10 boxes of HW #7 when it was rumored to be ended.  Already had 5 boxes.  I am set for life on 20 gauge for me and daughter and likely for my grandson too - unless he finds it when he is 16 and shoots skirrels with it.  He better run, cause I will chase him around with my walker if he does that!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sungrazer

This will be my first season using a shotgun for Turkey. Started looking for 12ga. 2 3/4" in February, it's been an eye opener to say the least. Luckily co-workers from surrounding areas have been able to help me out, so I returned the favor when I happened to be at the local farm n barn store the day they got some 9mm in. Then I bought a 20GA. over/under and ran all over that day looking, found Longbeard XR #5 and paid WAY too much for 1 box of target load so I could at least try my new toy. Walked in to a local outdoor store this week and found 3 cases of Winchester 20GA. Target loads, for a sensible price-couldn't grab one fast enough. I soon realized I'm not going to allow this situation again, I will be stocked up in the future!

Greg Massey

One thing that scares me about this turkey ammo shortage, is some people are buying turkey loads of some kind, because they can't find what they are use to hunting with in the passed and just going turkey hunting without even patterning that shell... i hope we don't end up with bunch of cripple birds or birds that are not found..

Nathan_Wiles

Around me the Ammo is being bought for resale in many cases. It shows up at the flea market and other places for lots of money. Not saying lots of folks aren't buying scared but I have witnessed organized groups buying ammo even with the purchase limits. Thier sole purpose is to re-sell at higher prices based on my discussion with them.
I support free markets so its worth whatever they can get and props to them for being innovative and resourceful. It will find a leveling point in the future as ammo producers catch up to demand and the demand is satisfied.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sswv

I'm seeing the same thing with ammo here in southern WV.  I shoot a .22 quite a bit for critter control. The CCI Suppressors in my old Marlin model 25 is a deadly combination BUT, those are SUPER hard to find. I think I've partly solved that problem by buying a Gamo Swarm Whisper .22 caliber adult air rifle.  Shot it for the first time today and DANG was I impressed. I know those .22 caliber pellets are a heck of a lot cheaper than .22LR ammo and this Gamo really packs a punch and will do the job until regular ammo becomes more available.   

RiverBuck

Luckily I have enough turkey shells but it's looking bad for my new 6.5 PRC... Hard to find em for less than 7-8 bucks a round. I'm having a hard time getting any reloading supplies right now too.

When the smoke clears and I believe it will, I suggest getting into reloading.

joey46

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 10, 2021, 10:39:33 AM
One thing that scares me about this turkey ammo shortage, is some people are buying turkey loads of some kind, because they can't find what they are use to hunting with in the passed and just going turkey hunting without even patterning that shell... i hope we don't end up with bunch of cripple birds or birds that are not found..

Imo - Even when available few were doing much patterning because of cost.  Yes this will compound the problem.