turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20 Gauge 22"

Started by RED NECK, March 28, 2021, 11:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I found a real nice little gun about 1.5 hrs away for half of what they cost new,barely shot and just spoke with the man and we are meeting half way this coming Friday morning. I have been looking at a Mossberg 20 for a few years but never found one locally. This one has a 22" barrel and is in Mossy oak break up. I can't wait to get this little gun and test it out and pattern it next weekend with the chokes and ammo I have.

I am going to start with the truglo ssx .550 and see how it patterns with tk7,mag blends, fed heavyweight 3rd degree,longbeard 5's,Fed Grand slam 5"s,Browning xd 5"s. I will add a little set of fiber optics to this gun as well.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

chatterbox

Good luck with the TK7. I couldn't get those things to pattern worth a darn from my gun, and I have a friend of mine with a similar experience.
That truglo is an excellent choke. I ran one for years in my Mossberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I have already patterned the tk7 in 2 different 20 gauges with solid killing patterns out to 40 yards and I have it patterned in a 12 ga with a kill. I can run it through my gun with different chokes,if It patterns great,if not.Oh well. I will just keep it for the guns I already have it set up for. I have found it to be better than most but I would still rate it about 3rd or 4th best shell,that isn't tss, for me in 20 gauge. I  am not really loyal to shells,as I don't care what it is as long as It patterns well and is legal.

Lots of great combo's out there to find a fit for everyone. I also have hevi 6,hevi x strut(garbage,so far for me out of all the guns and chokes I have run it through) as in waste of money for the 2 boxes I bought.

Glad I only bought 2 hevi x when I went to buy 5,they were down to 2. 

I also have a longbeard xr .568 and a tc turkey choke that I could test from this gun but I am really wanting the .550 to pattern one of these shells to 40 yards.

RED NECK

I purchased 4 boxes of the Grand slam 5's from Federal and would love to get this gun to shoot them out to 40 well, as they seem to pattern well from multiple guns and chokes for what I have seen. If they go I'll order another 5 boxes next weekend,I like stocking up as I never trust being able to find the shells I need when I need it down the road.

RED NECK

I'm going to call and see if we can meet up Thursday evening instead of Friday morning,and I plan on ordering a pistol grip for this little gun as well. I'll be pattering and getting this gun ready this coming weekend if it all goes as planned.

Ranman

Good luck, will be following along. Post some pics..

RED NECK

I am leaving in a few minutes to go and meet up with the fellow to get the gun and then going to pick up more ammo,never have enough ammo.

RED NECK

Here is the little guy,excellent shape,3 boxes of target loads with it and I went to pick up a box or two of shells from the local Canadian tire and brought home.....

RED NECK

I had a few minutes last night and attached a picatinny rail that I had ordered for this gun about 2 years ago(never could find it then) and then put on a Bushnell trs 25 in camo,threaded in a truglo ssx .550 and I will be sighting it in and patterning it sometime this weekend if all goes as planned.

This gun looks like it was used sparingly and looked after,I couldn't be happier to find this gun and for the price I paid, solid deal.

I will be ordering a pistol grip as well for it, the next few weeks. I am not in a huge rush for this season though.

RED NECK

I ordered the .570 primos tightwad this morning and will have it May 4-5th so If I can't get this little guy to pattern this morning then I will at least have something else to test.

RED NECK

I put a kent tk7 through the .550 ssx and was not overly impressed,It was ok.I then put a longbeard #6 in and touched off and was low so I had to adjust my peep sight,I adjusted and then fired one more.All my patterning is done with a rangefinder,No need to waste anymore ammo,No need to fire Tss #7's either as I am more than happy and will have no issues putting a longbeard down out to 40 yards with this setup.This little tiger has some roar but I can see myself carrying this gun on some hunts for sure.

.550 ssx
Winchester lb #6

Truglo peep sight fiber optic sights.

RED NECK

I picked up a little bushnell trs 25 replica for free last week and mounted it a few days ago. Im gonna see if I can get it dialed in today and if it holds zero Ill keep it on, seems identical to the Bushnell's I have,probably built by the same little hands in the same factory with a different name,Feyachi!   

RED NECK

I carried this gun for half a day and I realized that, I think its an awesome little gun and that I am going to put a little more money into it and pick up a pistol grip stock and maybe a Bushnell reflex or vortex venom for it.I never bothered dialing it in with a red dot,I never got time. I noticed the custom sling  was using is HEAVY and seemed to weigh as much as gun so I put a neoprene sling I picked up for 10 dollars at Cabelas and night and day.

This gun patterns so well with lb #6's and the .550 ssx that I am just going to shoot that combo.

I am also going to start my search for thee semi in 20 ga from Mossberg that I have wanted, I have 2 Mossberg's now and for a turkey gun I am more than happy with them.

This is a gun I will carry when I am doing a lot of walking and I have a few properties and area where I do cover some ground,perfect little gun. Id give it a 10-10 for a turkey gun.

I took the morning off,I have 4 long weekends in May as I booked off two Fridays and two Mondays,plus our long weekend and did not take on any work for my small business this year. I have had a great week so far,lots of action, bad weather that seems like it is breaking tomorrow afternoon,finally.

Ranman

Good luck, hope you get one.

RED NECK

I have a bushnell 100 rxs on the way for this gun,I am hoping it arrives in the next few days so I can mount it and sight it in and hunt with the gun this weekend. The hunting was stellar the first 10 days but has cooled off the last 10.I still have a few weeks and a few spots that I leave until the last 10 days or so that hold lots of birds,I still have a tag left and would be nice to get another bird.I have 4 day weekends the last two weeks.

There has been more interruptions with people and land owners this year than any other as they are home,not travelling because of covid.  It has still been a great season, as the food has been outstanding at camp on the weekends.