Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So, say a gent was set on shooting Federal HW 7's...

Started by JUGHEAD, May 25, 2011, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

out of an 870 youth with 21" barrel.  What choke has performed the best for this gun and load combination?  In the quick testing I did with my son's gun before season, we used a Remington SF .570 and the Hevi-13 3" 7's way outperformed the Federal 3" HW 7's.  If I could find the right choke that would bring the Federals up to a similar level of performance, I think I would rather go that route (for obvious reasons) the more I've thought about it.  So, what choke does good with the FC wad??? 

fountain

sumtoy..some really good patterns coming out. 

CB on the run

I get about 30 more pellets in the ten from the H13's but the Federals hit with far more authority.  If you really want your pellet count up there try some Nitro's.  I was getting close to 210 @ 40 with the RSF choke on a short barreled 1100.  I'm back to the Federals with my remaining Nitros as backup in my vest.  I'll use my H13's for the fall.

spurz

If you can find one the Hastings .562 is really good, out of my sons 870 it puts 170-180 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

TrkyHntr

X2 for the hastings .562. This choke does great in my 21" barreled 870. Averages 170's in the 10" at 40yds.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Devastator

a guy that used to be on this forum had great luck with an ssx .550.

surehuntsalot

a Carlson .575 does very well with the Federal #7HW's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

sugarray

I would try to find a Hastings .562 or a .555 from IC, PG or SSX.

davisd9

I have a friend that shoots a compact 870 and 11-87 and gets between 185-205 with the Tru Glo SSX and the Feds.  Even bought an SSX for my 870 20 gauge to try and decided to go another direction.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

The SSX works very well with those shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gobbler74

Pay attention to barrel length and choke constriction..One would think it wouldnt matter but I've shot enough and kept up on the patterns from long vs short to know it plays a big part. I've seen more efficient patterns from the .550-.555 chokes in 20-21" barrels with the Federal 7's.. The longer 24" and up seem to favor the .565- 570. On gun types, this was the case in Rems and Benelli's. Not sure of the mossy or other bores except CD which seems to follow Rem #'s. My rem 20 would not shoot the SF choke very well with HW 7's. It did like the ssx .550 but the best of the 4 including a platinum .550 IC was the PG .555 tempest @ 164. My friends 870 20 ga with the longer barrel shoots the RSF like a champ gettin around 170, but around 120 with the 550's and .555

Don't put all your eggs in one basket till you've shot all the possible combos.         
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

Quote from: TrkyHntr on May 25, 2011, 07:51:49 PM
X2 for the hastings .562. This choke does great in my 21" barreled 870. Averages 170's in the 10" at 40yds.

Shane

I need to take a run at this one just gotta find the time..  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

S.C.C

In my 21" 870 youth the Sumtoy .562 has been the best shooter of all the chokes mentioned here so far with the HW 7's.It puts up a consistant pattern at a taped 40 yards that evenly distributes 90% of
the payload in a 16" to 18" circle on paper.This shell/choke combo was also put to the test out to 43 yards on a good sized gobbler using the factory bead sights this past spring with excellent drop dead results! 

JUGHEAD

Quote from: gobbler74 on June 21, 2011, 11:57:19 AM
Pay attention to barrel length and choke constriction..One would think it wouldnt matter but I've shot enough and kept up on the patterns from long vs short to know it plays a big part. I've seen more efficient patterns from the .550-.555 chokes in 20-21" barrels with the Federal 7's.. The longer 24" and up seem to favor the .565- 570. On gun types, this was the case in Rems and Benelli's. Not sure of the mossy or other bores except CD which seems to follow Rem #'s. My rem 20 would not shoot the SF choke very well with HW 7's. It did like the ssx .550 but the best of the 4 including a platinum .550 IC was the PG .555 tempest @ 164. My friends 870 20 ga with the longer barrel shoots the RSF like a champ gettin around 170, but around 120 with the 550's and .555

Don't put all your eggs in one basket till you've shot all the possible combos.         
Thanks for the info!  I've been noticing the same thing and purchased a nice used SSX from a gent here on the site to try.  The gun shoots a very nice, even, dead center POI, little more open pattern with the RSF and Hevi-13 7's.  I'm just wanting to goy with the Hw's some to see what I will do, perhaps for the times when I use the gun when he's at school or whatever.  ;D 

JUGHEAD

Quote from: JohnDoe on June 22, 2011, 10:08:42 AM
And where did you find a Gent on this site. ;D
This place is covered up with them.  :)