only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi public land turkey hunting 2021

Started by turkeydangler3, March 20, 2021, 02:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Quote from: turkeydangler3 on March 20, 2021, 05:54:19 PM
Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 20, 2021, 05:31:45 PM
Don't worry them ole Miss boys, will park next to you and setup beside you. Have fun, be safe.

Good luck.

Must be a MS state or razorbacks fan...

Out of all the dipshit that have parked on top of and walked in on me, not a one of them had a Mississippi license  plate, or an ole miss student decal for that matter... mostly Arkansas with stupid duck license plate

LOL I'm not a fan of sports.

I've seen some crazy stuff down here in the South East Region.
The people I've encountered in the woods have been fine, we both parked in different areas and ended up at the same location. No problems with that.

Good luck and be safe.

Jstocks

Don't worry them ole Miss boys, will park next to you and setup beside you. Have fun, be safe.

Good luck.

Out of all the dipshit that have parked on top of and walked in on me, not a one of them had a Mississippi license  plate, or an ole miss student decal for that matter... mostly Arkansas with stupid duck license plate

You ain't been around enough then. I'm from Mississippi and we have some of the worst examples of sportsmanship that I've encountered in any state while hunting. I'll agree that the Arkansas crowd has some special characters, but I'll not ignore the fact that our state of Mississippi residents have raped and pillaged more outdoor activities in other states than any other states' residents in the entire Union.

As a matter of fact, the closest I've come to completely losing my mind on someone has been in Nebraska......twice.......and when I get a look at the vehicle tags, guess where they are from....Mississippi! My good ol home state.

Years of disregard for game limits, selfishness, and complete disrespect for property lines are a common practice locally in our state. Say what you want but it's a fact.

It's our our own state's fault that we get the pressure we get. I would actually propose that no license be sold to out of state hunters until opening day do that particular state's season if it is a neighboring state, or we move our season start date back to be closer in line with Alabama. If we do t make some changes, you can look for pressure and lease prices to be like you've never seen come 2022 and beyond.

My prediction:
No changes will occur. Follow the money=license sales revenue, lease revenue, travel revenue, etc....

Arkansas hunters aggravating - yes
Mississippi hunters just as bad in other states - probably worse than can be really measured.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Jstocks on March 20, 2021, 08:59:38 PM

Good luck.

You ain't been around enough then. I'm from Mississippi and we have some of the worst examples of sportsmanship that I've encountered in any state while hunting. I'll agree that the Arkansas crowd has some special characters, but I'll not ignore the fact that our state of Mississippi residents have raped and pillaged more outdoor activities in other states than any other states' residents in the entire Union.

As a matter of fact, the closest I've come to completely losing my mind on someone has been in Nebraska......twice.......and when I get a look at the vehicle tags, guess where they are from....Mississippi! My good ol home state.

Years of disregard for game limits, selfishness, and complete disrespect for property lines are a common practice locally in our state. Say what you want but it's a fact.

It's our our own state's fault that we get the pressure we get. I would actually propose that no license be sold to out of state hunters until opening day do that particular state's season if it is a neighboring state, or we move our season start date back to be closer in line with Alabama. If we do t make some changes, you can look for pressure and lease prices to be like you've never seen come 2022 and beyond.

My prediction:
No changes will occur. Follow the money=license sales revenue, lease revenue, travel revenue, etc....

Arkansas hunters aggravating - yes
Mississippi hunters just as bad in other states - probably worse than can be really measured.

Thanks for sharing you experience and thoughts. Good luck and stay safe.

nativeks

In my 5 years of experience living on my property I have pressed charges on 2 truck loads of guys from AR, one father son combo from Mississippi, and narrowly missed catching some guys from GA. And that is just what I have seen while I was at home. Not going to lie last year was a welcome break from poachers. That said have fun and do it legally.

Howie g

Historically for the last 20 years it's mostly ms / La /and ark tags in my region of ms on public , while this is still true ,seen several Georgia / bama / and a few northern states also since the " you tube " and face book craze

deerhunt1988

What are you guys complaining about? We need more turkey hunters!!! Thats what YouTubes says!!!

ShootingABN!

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 20, 2021, 10:05:14 PM
What are you guys complaining about? We need more turkey hunters!!! Thats what YouTubes says!!!
:fud:
:OGturkeyhead:
:turkey2:

quavers59

From reading this Thread- it seems a Large Boatload of Arkansas Spring Turkey Hunters make a Beeline for the State of Mississippi every Spring. 
   I am from New York- so , I  am wondering why that is??

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: quavers59 on March 21, 2021, 04:20:07 AM
  From reading this Thread- it seems a Large Boatload of Arkansas Spring Turkey Hunters make a Beeline for the State of Mississippi every Spring. 
   I am from New York- so , I  am wondering why that is??

Main reason is because our state opens earlier than every other state except Flarida. I agree about the pressure put on our birds. Its insane. But to make lemonaide out of lemons , if you can kill birds consistantly on Mississippi public land , you can kill them anywhere in this country with regularity. I have said and continue to say that our states public land birds are the hardest in the country to kill. Just my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Swenny

We've had issues over the years with whitetail poachers on our family land in Minnesota and it's hard to put into words how mad it makes a guy.

That said I accidentally got into private land hunting pronghorns last year and I still feel awful about it.  I've hunted both private and public land for years, but I messed up last fall.  The landowner confronted me, I put gun down, checked my map, started to profusely apologize and got out of there. I wouldn't have blamed him one iota if he would have pressed charges.  It was completely my mistake.

Everyone hunting turkeys this year,  please check your maps, maintain some situational awareness, be courteous, stay safe!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I ran into an old timer down south years ago, his statement about local hunters still makes me laugh, I asked him why I was not seeing any turkeys out in the fields, he said the local folks down here have two seasons, salt and pepper!

My cousin met some guys from Arkansas years ago turkey hunting Miss.   Were friends with them a while but found out what little regard they had for any hunting laws and severed ties with them.  Dude was killing birds prior to season and way over the limit.

I know a guy who hunted on the property I managed in Illinois, worked for the owner, he has exclusive rights to a huge chunk in Alabama, was complaining about low bird numbers after telling me how the most he had killed in a spring was 13 on that one property! 

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 21, 2021, 11:41:31 AM
I ran into an old timer down south years ago, his statement about local hunters still makes me laugh, I asked him why I was not seeing any turkeys out in the fields, he said the local folks down here have two seasons, salt and pepper!

My cousin met some guys from Arkansas years ago turkey hunting Miss.   Were friends with them a while but found out what little regard they had for any hunting laws and severed ties with them.  Dude was killing birds prior to season and way over the limit.

I know a guy who hunted on the property I managed in Illinois, worked for the owner, he has exclusive rights to a huge chunk in Alabama, was complaining about low bird numbers after telling me how the most he had killed in a spring was 13 on that one property!

And yet they wonder???

Spurs

Mississippi is by far the worst for disrespect and absolute disregard for sportsmanship I've ever seen...and I too am an Arkansas public land duck hunter in some of the historically worst area. 

As far as where those people we from, it was a coin toss with multiple sides.  The worst one was a MS resident who had "been hunting there for a decade".  I was in there 2 mornings in a row and he showed up right behind me on the 3rd.  Dog cussed me and threatened to shoot out my tires.  After that lil outburst, I informed him I was still going in and he pulled out.  Bout gobble time (I was about 1.5 miles deep in) I heard a shot from my trucks direction.  Initially, I was concerned, but my bird shock gobbled a few minutes earlier than usual.  I decided that if my truck was shot, wasn't much I could do about it, so I took off after that bird.  2 hours later, I toted the bird outta there. (He's my avatar bird).  No harm to my truck.

On the way out, wouldn't ya know it, there was that old mans truck.  Left him a little breast feather for the memory and never went back to MS.
This year is going to suck!!!

bigriverbum

i always had a feeling that 'southern hospitality' was meant tongue-in-cheek 

ShootingABN!

For real I've meet some great people here in the Sip.