OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga. Ported choke and TSS ???

Started by pdugas, March 06, 2021, 07:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdugas

Can I shoot TSS or Federal Heavyweight's through a truglo 20 ga. ported choke ?

MattBordas

TSS yes. As far as heavy weights, the older heavy weights with the original flight control wads prefer a non ported choke. But the newer federal "heavy weight tss" that has the updated flight control wad you can shoot through any choke you want. Ported or non ported.

pdugas

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: MattBordas on March 08, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
TSS yes. As far as heavy weights, the older heavy weights with the original flight control wads prefer a non ported choke. But the newer federal "heavy weight tss" that has the updated flight control wad you can shoot through any choke you want. Ported or non ported.
Tell that to the hordes of hunters shooting the federal heavyweight loads through ported chokes and getting ridiculous patterns, present company included.  Wad stripping chokes like patternmaster are a no no with the flight control wads. Practically any other choke, even BDS chokes have been destroying turkeys since the heavyweight loads came out...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ahfox16

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2021, 12:41:45 AM
Tell that to the hordes of hunters shooting the federal heavyweight loads through ported chokes and getting ridiculous patterns, present company included.  Wad stripping chokes like patternmaster are a no no with the flight control wads. Practically any other choke, even BDS chokes have been destroying turkeys since the heavyweight loads came out...
I disagree a tad.  I bought a ported Indian Creek .555 to shoot of two different Remington's with the old Federal Heavyweights and the patterns were awful.  Switched to a non-ported Sumtoy and it was night and day.  Went from around 100 hits to 170 hits by changing to a non-ported choke tubes.  Now that was with the earliest Heavyweights, and the later batches may have been better.  I talked to Federal directly and they told me to go to the Non-Ported choke.  As I recall the recommended the Tempest choke tube by Pure Gold and the factory turkey full.  I was the one who decided to go with the Sumtoy based on what some folks on this forum recommend.

chatterbox

My son and I  the federal heviweight #7's for many, many seasons with the truglo SSX choke with 0 issues, and he still shoots them now.
The 20 gauge federal wad is softer than it's 12 gauge counterpart, so you can still shoot those older heviweight 7's with no problem at all, and we got numbers from 140-160+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: ahfox16 on March 10, 2021, 05:44:08 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 10, 2021, 12:41:45 AM
I disagree a tad.  I bought a ported Indian Creek .555 to shoot of two different Remington's with the old Federal Heavyweights and the patterns were awful.  Switched to a non-ported Sumtoy and it was night and day.  Went from around 100 hits to 170 hits by changing to a non-ported choke tubes.  Now that was with the earliest Heavyweights, and the later batches may have been better.  I talked to Federal directly and they told me to go to the Non-Ported choke.  As I recall the recommended the Tempest choke tube by Pure Gold and the factory turkey full.  I was the one who decided to go with the Sumtoy based on what some folks on this forum recommend.
The early 20 gauge heavyweight wads (15gm/cm²) were much more stiff andess choke responsive. Also, of course federal is going to tell you to only run non-ported chokes with those loads.  They had a bad reputation of breaking pieces off in the wad ports and strippers of some chokes, causing barrel obstructions.  Those were also mainly chokes not approved for htl shot use.  You are one of the very, very few that had poor patterns with federal heavyweights and ported chokes. If it was a common occurrence, chokes like the TG SSX, IC BDS, tightwad (my personal favorite choke for those loads) and chokes with wad slowing rings like Carlson's, Patternmaster and Mojo wouldn't work so well...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.