Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

When and Where?

Started by GobbleNut, March 12, 2021, 08:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

I suspect some of our team members are about to get rolling,...if they haven't already.  So, when is your first hunt, and where will you be hunting this spring?

Here in New Mexico, our spring hunt doesn't start until April 15th.  Right now, I have plans to head up to Oklahoma for their April 6th opener.  That will be my first opportunity.  Other hunts planned are a three-state swing in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota in late May, and I may try to squeeze-in another hunt in Colorado in Early May if time allows.  I am also on a "waiting list" for a reservation hunt if all goes well. 

How 'bout you guys?...

Swamp

I'm hunting eastern NC our season starts April 10 till may 8th I get 2 birds

notsure

MN Season A starts on April 14th. and goes through the 20th.  All season's are OTC this year in SE MN, so unless the weather looks awful (always a distinct possibility in MN), my season starts on the 14th.  As for WI, we're locked into Season C,  which doesn't begin until May 19th. 

boomer

My season starts on March 25th for archery in Nebraska and the shotgun opener is on April 17th.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RiverBuck

April 10 through May 2 for me here in Virginia. I've been seeing lots of nice birds lately. It usually goes off the end of this month.. you know, right before opener but I have a 1000 acres or so plus been invited to another farm a half hour away to make it happen.

ManfromGreenSwamp

As I type this, I'm sitting in a oak hammock, swamp side, listening in the crack of day break on our horizon. Whippoorwill and owls going nutsIt's a youth opener and I have a young man (15) to my left, listening with me. I hope we can hear them and at the least have some good interaction. It's 52°, clear with today's high of 84° projected...
We are hunting a 15k acre tract of WMA public land.

Our "Adult" season is next weekend and I still haven't decided on where to go LOL.
Likely, I'll head to a 45acre private piece I have in the neighboring south county.

Oh, Central Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

RiverBuck

Best of luck ManfromGreenSwamp!

It's was 52 at first light up here in Virginia this morning too... and just like that, it started. I heard a 4 pack gobbling their heads off on the next ridge over while drinking coffee on the porch.

GobbleNut

Quote from: RiverBuck on March 13, 2021, 07:21:50 AM
Best of luck ManfromGreenSwamp!

It's was 52 at first light up here in Virginia this morning too... and just like that, it started. I heard a 4 pack gobbling their heads off on the next ridge over while drinking coffee on the porch.

Ditto on the "Good Luck" part MfGS.

As for listening to gobblers, I too was sitting and listening a couple of mornings ago at our place at 8,000 ft. in the New Mexico mountains.  Had to listen to the five gobblers that were roosting a 150 yards from the cabin from inside while sitting next to the heater, though.  The outside temp was somewhere around 25, I think, and sitting on the porch just didn't sound too appealing.   :D

Here's a couple of the old boys after they flew down....

Sir-diealot

I will be hunting my landlords kids property again I do believe. It allows me to set up some blinds and seats ahead of time which with my body is a big bonus.

May hit Sugar Hill State Park as well for something new, depends on how the body is treating me. If I do hunt that I will have to figure out how to do it without a blind, sitting on the ground can be very painful for me. I do have an Ameristep 2 man blind, but find that my gun barrel is a little long for using it, works fine with rifle.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ManfromGreenSwamp

Thanks all. Set up, heard one, went after him and he was wayyyy off. Get half way there, two double gobble back where we were... doubled back. Never heard them again ! They had us chasing our tails.
Got warm QUICK
Place we were hunting has been hammered by the small game folks for a solid month...definitely doesn't help the turkey hunting.
The young man I had, his brother got one with a different fellow. Nice bird . 15lbs, 1.25" Spurs and a little over 8" beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Kdp1080

How is your boys scoutin/homework coming along?? Any ctazy rituals/traditions you do before opening day??

leaf shaker

Will be hunting VA season for the most part but may make a trip down to NC

Kdp1080

How is your boys scoutin/homework coming along?? Any ctazy rituals/traditions you do before opening day??

avidnwoutdoorsman

Still up in the air on the where and when part (wife's blessing pending) but I'm planned out for both scenarios.
Option 1: Will be DE on April 10th - Opener
Option 2: Will be WA on April 15th - Opener

If additionally allowed by wife I'll be hunting turkey youth weekend in WA April 3rd. Got a first time Dad and Son duo hooked up with some good landowners and public spots near my property if I can't make it but hoping this isn't the case and that I'm calling in a beautiful red head for the Dad and Son. I know this wont count for the team but this is what hunting is all about. Starting out the next generation.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Bridger

I'll be hunting in Virginia and West-by-God-Va also.  Starts April 10

Good luck team Snood Snatchers!